mark poulson

Grip Pin For Flipping

Another option....I use the hook Mustad 91768 NP-BN . This is a jig hook but I make it into a hook for tx rigging plastics. I have played with a lot of dif. keepers to hold the baits on and have narrowed it down to a couple that  I like. Coated cable our jig weed guard bristles are about as good as I can find for my type of fishing beavers and brushhog type baits. The big dif. that I do tho is to tie the keeper to the INSIDE ( between the hook point and the eye of the hook) just behind the hook eye.. That way the keeper follows the channel the hook eye makes on it's way out on the hook set. This opp.has saved me on a lot of money on my plastics. It's not as easy to put the keepers on this style of hook but worth the time and effort . The way the hook is made, the bend in the hook lets it slide thru weeds and wood without catching anything Just give this a try you won't be sorry. Have a good day. STEVE

Another option....I use the hook Mustad 91768 NP-BN . This is a jig hook but I make it into a hook for tx rigging plastics. I have played with a lot of dif. keepers to hold the baits on and have narrowed it down to a couple that  I like. Coated cable our jig weed guard bristles are about as good as I can find for my type of fishing beavers and brushhog type baits. The big dif. that I do tho is to tie the keeper to the INSIDE ( between the hook point and the eye of the hook) just behind the hook eye.. That way the keeper follows the channel the hook eye makes on it's way out on the hook set. This opp.has saved me on a lot of money on my plastics. It's not as easy to put the keepers on this style of hook but worth the time and effort . The way the hook is made, the bend in the hook lets it slide thru weeds and wood without catching anything Just give this a try you won't be sorry. Have a good day. STEVE

How about posting a pic of this design?  Thanks in advance!

I do it this way...

I made up several hooks using this technique.  This style of keeper works great around wood and rocks.  But, it's not great around weeds.  The keeper, even when laying flat against the plastic bait, always seems to wedge a piece of grass between the keeper and the plastic.  So, I modified a few, like Bassbull sugested, and put the keeper on the inside of the hook shank.  This should solve the problem of them grabbing the weeds.

I made up several hooks using this technique.  This style of keeper works great around wood and rocks.  But, it's not great around weeds.  The keeper, even when laying flat against the plastic bait, always seems to wedge a piece of grass between the keeper and the plastic.  So, I modified a few, like Bassbull sugested, and put the keeper on the inside of the hook shank.  This should solve the problem of them grabbing the weeds.

I had the same problem Jeff. My solution was to attach the keeper in such a way that it was embedded in the plastic once the bait was threaded on the hook. No way it can snag anything and it still holds the plastic so well that no way is it going to get pulled down.

Ben

• Like 1

I had the same problem Jeff. My solution was to attach the keeper in such a way that it was embedded in the plastic once the bait was threaded on the hook. No way it can snag anything and it still holds the plastic so well that no way is it going to get pulled down.

Ben

That sounds like a good solution.