RayburnGuy

Home Built Hair Stacker

After this got hung up in my head I had to see if I could build one. Was hoping to use a 45/70 cartridge for the main barrel, but didn't have an appropriate size piece of tubing that would allow a snug fit for that caliber so ended up cutting the neck down on a .300 Winchester Magnum and using a piece of 3/8" stainless tubing. The .300 mag can't be "loaded"  (pun intended) with as much hair, but it seems to be plenty for what I'm doing.  The pictures are pretty much self explanatory and while this thing isn't pretty it does work. The last picture is a bit fuzzy, but you can still see that the hair is nice and even on the end.

It's an easy build that took me less than an hour and that was including finding all the parts.

Ben

Hair Stacker Merged.jpg

Hair Stacker Merged.jpg

Hair Stacker Merged.jpg

Hair Stacker Merged.jpg

Hair Stacker Merged.jpg

Hair Stacker Merged.jpg

Hair Stacker Merged.jpg

Hair Stacker Merged.jpg

post-21848-0-48386900-1438469946_thumb.jpg

The hair fits inside the small diameter tube. You place the stainless tubing inside the shell casing and then put your hair inside the stainless tube. To even the ends of the hair you just start whacking the shell casing on a firm surface. Just make sure the primer in the shell casing isn't live or you could have hair and finger bits all over the place. Whacking the shell casing on a firm surface causes the hair in the stainless tube to work it's way down where it comes up against the bottom of the shell casing. Then it's just a matter of sliding the stainless tube out of the shell casing and pushing the hair far enough forward so you can grab it.

There are numerous videos on YouTube showing how hair straighteners work. While this one isn't capable of holding as much hair it works the same.

Ben