Efitz

Vacuum Box Question

Building a vacuum box for making stencils. I am laying out the hole pattern for the top. I have it laid out in a 1" grid. Just curious if this is consistent to what others are doing? I can easily put a hole in the center of the 1" grid to make it a 1/2" grid. Just thought I'd try and get ahead of the learning curve by asking before I built. First time posting on the site but want say thanks for the wealth of knowledge that is shared on here.

I only know about vacuum boxes from wood veneering, but typically. as long as you can create a vacuum, that's the key.  The closer to the edge of your workpiece the holes are, the tighter you can pull your material to your master with less vacuum, but the basic idea is to remove the air from beneath the master, so atmospheric pressure will force the stencil material down over the master.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated . Yeah I know I could adjust holes later. I mostly wanted to see if I was heading down a good path. I'm making the top out of 1/8" aluminum I had laying around. I've never used or even seen a vacuum box before snooping around in TU. Thanks again!!!!

Ed

I made a vacuum box for vacuum forming to make poly sheet parts using peg board.  Its works..  I have a beautiful impression of the pegboard on the sheet.  LOL.  

You should have seen my wife shaking here head when I was heating up the sheet and sheet frames in the oven.  LOL.  

Edited by Bob La Londe
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! For all the info. I'm building a little larger box due to the fact I'll be working on Muskie lures. Just finished punching and de-burring the hole for the top plate this evening. Gonna see if I can get the box built in the next few days.

Ed