emptystringer81

Scents

I used mainly Pro Cure products and loved all their stuff.  Anise is a black licorice scent and works VERY well.

You can find Pro Cure here.....

http://pro-cure.com/store/bait-scent-products/scents.html

Any of the bait oils will work well in hot plastic. Personally, I liked the Anise plus, Garlic plus, and Minnow oils. 

Upper Hand Scents is another outstanding product, and you also find some really good scents at Lure Craft as well.

Good luck!

The coffee is to add flavor rather than scent

Im a firm believer that taste catches more fish than smell

Ive played around with Folgers in a few baits, but i found it too coarse.... Thought about maybe a pulverizer to powder it up, but havnt tried yet

Not sure how Strike King does it?? But their "coffee tubes" were popular for a while

Edited by JRammit

Even though im not big on scent, i use oil when i bag my baits to prevent sticking.. Figure i might as well use scented oil....... One plus is that it does mask the plastic smell

I got a few from Spike-It... My favorite is their Menhaden oil... Its basically fish oil

Does anse resemble anything or just something made up,

Anise is a plant, similar to parsley.  It has a very strong licorice smell and has been a very popular fish attractant for a long time.  The original Fish Formula II  had a slight anise smell.  I use it in a lot of baits and like every other scent, I can't say if it makes a definite difference, but I know for sure it doesn't hurt.

these guys sell some nice concentrates and the coffee flavor may do the trick http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-149-coffee-flavors.aspx
I havent tried the coffee but I do have other flavors and they stink (in a good way)
They are foodgrade and meant as flavoring , but they are heavily concentrated and they mix well with the plastic . I don't know how they are for longevity because I use my baits as I make em , though I'm sure that in a sealed bag the scent isn't going to dumb down

http://baitmolds.enforcermolds.com/molds/

Edited by curt k

One would need to define the fish species....  but I will just use bass based on the overall amount of lures made on this site would be for bass.

Most ichthyologists will be quick to point out that salt, garlic, coffee, and anise fall into the least attractive.  Extracts from prey based sources far out preform the ones typically dumped on baits by anglers.  Response to smell has consistently been shown to trump taste also.  Overall they will hold onto the lure longer but the importance has become less important with the innovation in line and rod sensitivity and performance. The days of Bill Dance monologue pause techniques are no longer needed.  

Vegetable oils should be avoided with plastics as long term not compatible and get hard.  Oil base scents generally are not miscible or poorly miscible with water and there is the the way their taste and scent functions that also raises some questions in regard to oil being a good carrier for scent dispersal.  We also know that some chemicals/scents appear not to be detected by bass with some being used as scents or generally accepted by anglers as being negative stimuli.  

I used scents fairly consistently for several years (200+ outings a  year) and tested several for some companies (mainly various amino acid based formulas and a crawfish paste that James Valley Scents was working on).   Overall my journal records were far from convincing me to put up with the aggravation of messing with scents.    I continued to use scents when I poured based on how many asked for it.    

Response to smell has consistently been shown to trump taste also. Overall they will hold onto the lure longer but the importance has become less important with the innovation in line and rod sensitivity and performance. The days of Bill Dance monologue pause techniques are no longer needed.

Even with super lines, super rods and super fisherman... I can't get past the logic that if a fish holds the bait twice as long, you have twice the odds of catching that fish

Otherwise good points... Especially about the vegetable oil.... I forgot to mention the baits i used vegi oil in did turn hard a couple months after i made them.... Now i know why

I got my coffee grinder out and grinded up the coffee where it was like a fine powder also added a little powder type vanilla extract and a touch of garlic and grinded it all up together. I tried like a 1/4 tsp for one cup of plastic and it worked good, it did darken up the bait a bit. going to take it to the lake tomorrow and try it out.

I wonder if its ok to inject mineral oil into plastic or anise essential oil.