mark poulson

Do-It Essential Molds

I just don't see the big deal about the "shine". The fish simply do not care. I truly feel like people give bass way too much credit. They are really really dumb creatures that live off of instinct and they aren't gonna shy away from a bait because the surface isn't smooth. Right depth and speed is so much more important than color or "look" of the bait. IF you are making baits for yourself and to just sell a few here and there the ES molds will work just fine. If your main purpose is to sell baits then you may wanna go with a CNC mold because to the average angler the baits looks are just to catch the fisherman it has nothing to do with catching fish. That's why people will pay ridiculous prices for some custom soft plastics (Top Shelf Croaker for example when a Horny Toad will catch them just as good for less than half the price but people will spend the money because they think more expensive means it is better).

End rant haha!

I just don't see the big deal about the "shine". The fish simply do not care. I truly feel like people give bass way too much credit. They are really really dumb creatures that live off of instinct and they aren't gonna shy away from a bait because the surface isn't smooth. Right depth and speed is so much more important than color or "look" of the bait. IF you are making baits for yourself and to just sell a few here and there the ES molds will work just fine. If your main purpose is to sell baits then you may wanna go with a CNC mold because to the average angler the baits looks are just to catch the fisherman it has nothing to do with catching fish. That's why people will pay ridiculous prices for some custom soft plastics (Top Shelf Croaker for example when a Horny Toad will catch them just as good for less than half the price but people will spend the money because they think more expensive means it is better).

End rant haha!

If it was only about catching fish and saving money, this site wouldnt exist

Look at some of the amazing airbrush work in the hard bait gallery.. Take the same lure and spray paint it white, i bet it catches just as many fish

But this is about more... Its a craft, and at the end of the day (or weekend) we all want something to be proud of... Weather its a flawless paint job or a shiny piece of plastic

• Like 3

I would go the high heat spray myself as I wouldn't sell the other product with the finish (reality I would have just bought a smooth finished mold).  I used it a lot of poor finished POP molds back in the day.  

Does it matter of course not but what does it say about one's "craftsmanship" when they ware willing to sell a bait with the poor finish?  For me I just couldn't do it.   Save money on baits you fish yourself...ok fine but if that is the case then just buy bulk.  I fished a lot (200 plus days a year) and went through a lot of plastics and simply you can buy in bulk for cheaper than you can ever approach making yourself, even fishing much less.    Just enjoy doing it, then ok, go for it but I still fall back to "craftsmanship", pride, etc... in a product one makes.  

Simply a lot of guys put no effort into making a quality product...good enough unfortunatley became this countries mantra at some point.  

Edited by Travis

To each their own. If you feel like your pride will be hurt by the way a mold is finished or that it says something about your "craftmanship" then get the CNC mold. I just feel like these are entry level molds and someone looking to get into this awesome hobby shouldn't think these things won't catch fish. That being said, I probably wouldn't sell those baits either but that's just because people would be more likely to be attracted to a nice shiny finish.

I just don't see how a mold somebody else made has anything to do with your craftsmanship or that by using a mold like that means you are half assing it or that you put no effort into making a quality product. But like I said to each their own. To a simpleton like myself it is about catching fish on a lure I made myself and a smooth finish has nothing to do with that.

Really like my essential series molds. Use the crawler often, the jerk, the paddle tail. Also have the lizard and the hog. Buddies like the hog but it's a large bait like the lizard. Want to get the senko next. I spray my mold cavities with a quick shot of coconut oil and they come out shinning.

Really like my essential series molds. Use the crawler often, the jerk, the paddle tail. Also have the lizard and the hog. Buddies like the hog but it's a large bait like the lizard. Want to get the senko next. I spray my mold cavities with a quick shot of coconut oil and they come out shinning.

Any long term negatives with the coconut oil, in regards to how the plastic reacts?

I have the beaver mold and have caught plenty of fish on it, so they dont seem to mind the dull finish.  The only thing I didnt like about it is it has no movement to any of it,  just kind of swims straight when falling back down when jigging it but I guess the fish didnt mind that either just more of a confident thing with me with a bait with a little more action I guess.

Bryanmc - absolutely right.

I am currently working on a Mother mold for making molds for a 2 cavity bluegill paddletail. The problem is that the 3D print of the Mother is covered in ridges from the printing process. I have been trying to work out a way of removing or at least reducing the ridges. I have found a process that involves partially dissolving the mold in a closed atmosphere of acetone vapour.

I am sure the procedure will work, but I have decided not to risk my expensive Mother, primarily because:

1 - Other than a few sedentary bottom feeders, fish are NOT smooth.

2 - I placed a partial test pour in water and the ridges where barely visible.

3 - I have to back up my belief that it is vibrations and motion that catches fish, but let's not kick that debate off again.

If I was in the market for purchasing molds, I would have no hesitation going for a sand cast mold, with its flat/matt finish to the pours. All you lure designers and builders are in your own right experienced and expert fishers of lures. Just like the professional competitive anglers out there, you all know that the surface finish counts for nothing in the catch-ability of a lure.

We go to all this trouble because we are just as concerned with catching the fisherman as we are about catching fish. It is not up to us to educate the man in the boat who pays for our passion, but wouldn't it be nice if one of the fishing rags did an article on the subject and put the record straight.

Dave

Skimpy - that seems like amazing value to me.

It costs me $17.33 (1Kg) just for the RTV to make a 2 piece mold. So I doubt I will be selling any molds then. I might be able to get this cost down with fillers, but still test pouring the RTV at the moment. Saving my scraps for later experiments.

Dave

Skimpy - great vid of a really simple solution. Nothing wrong with those baits.

Dave

Thanks Vodkaman.  They are a great swimjig trailer !!!!!  Honestly i didn't really mind the dull/matte finish, but i have a buddy that really does so i figured i would paint it and make a video.