BBA

How Much Salt?

Hello all,

Fairly new to this forum, I have joined as I feel there is a great community with a wealth of knowledge. I have picked up a few nice tips in exploring the board. I have been hand pouring for a few years now and know my way around a bit.

My question is this,

I am looking to make a stick worm with a very simalar sink rate to a yamamoto. What kind of salt to plastic ratios are you guys having success with? I am using a plastic from do it or formally canny creek. I typically run 4 cup batches with room for added salt volume

Secondly, what about tube salt ratios? I am brand new to tubes and I know there is loads of salt in them usually and I don't really want to mess up a batch by adding too much as tube runs are using a lot more plastic.

Many thanks

4 heaping tablespoons salt per 8 oz + one tablespoon softener

So 1/2 cup salt and 2 tablespoon softener per 1 cup plastic 

to match Yammys. If using a Seno mold this give an 11g weight bait, same as a real one.

If new dont make batches over 1 cup or you will waste alot of plastic till you get things right.

I never understood why hard plastic for tubes. I want my tubes soft like other baits

Edited by MonteSS
  • Like 1

So 1/2 cup salt and 2 tablespoon softener per 1 cup plastic

to match Yammys. If using a Seno mold this give an 11g weight bait, same as a real one.

If new dont make batches over 1 cup or you will waste alot of plastic till you get things right.

I never understood why hard plastic for tubes. I want my tubes soft like other baits

Dragging or working really soft tubes over rocks, gravel, shell beds and mussels tear the crap out of them. Making them out of a stiffer compound helps them last longer, leaving you with more time to fish them. Big smallies will absolutely destroy a very soft tube. 

Canyon Plastics, the original makers of the Gitzit, makes soft tubes.  They are great for clear, pressured waters.

But there are tubes out there with thicker heads, so you can use an offset hook and still have a relatively soft tube that will hold up.

Look at some of the flipping tubes on Tackle Warehouse.

Canyon Plastics, the original makers of the Gitzit, makes soft tubes.  They are great for clear, pressured waters.

But there are tubes out there with thicker heads, so you can use an offset hook and still have a relatively soft tube that will hold up.

Look at some of the flipping tubes on Tackle Warehouse.

My dad used to call them "Gitzits."  One day, I found out he was talking about tubes in general.  lol

So 1/2 cup salt and 2 tablespoon softener per 1 cup plastic

so it's like 50- 50 salt half salt and half plastic, what if you Dont have softner will this still work or no

Thanks for tips and info. I'll definatly be adding a significantly larger amount of salt in my stick worms. I've only been using an 8:1 plastic to salt in my sticks. Works well for me but I've had a few clients ask for a quicker sinking worm.

Edited by BBA

My formula is to match a real Yammy Senko which is heavier than the rest. About 11 g per bait. With that much filler it is also the reason they are so weak. He can also make more money as salt is cheaper than plastic.

Most Knock off stick baits use less salt and dont sink or wobble on the fall like a real Senko. Thats is why many swear by the Senko and wont fish other sticks.

I now exclusively use Silica sand. I can make a stick nearly identical to a Senko that is much more durable. I can also make clear and more translucent baits that weigh 11g and are soft. They show colors and gltters nice and bright.

DSCN1678a_zpsd937c49e.jpg

DSCN1720_zpsca5e5a3c.jpg

DSCN1742_zpsf1b17b36.jpg

Edited by MonteSS