RiverMan

Where To Get Pvc?

I usually end up getting molding in whatever size/design is the cheapest when I go.   

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-7318-1-in-x-4-in-x-96-in-PVC-Primed-White-Trimplank-S4S-Moulding-0731808003/203822134

Brick molding at Menard's ends up being the cheapest I can find typically as it seams to always have a damaged end and is on clearance. 

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

Azek is probably the way to go

The trim i found at Lowes is textured on one side... The trim i found at Home Depot has holes and grooves in the middle

Both still work, but reqire extra steps/attention

But i didnt see decking at either of my local stores

Edited by JRammit

Textured could be a deal breaker depending on ones tools but as long as the thickness is there a few passes on the table saw and all good.  The stuff I get at Menard's doesn't have issues with voids or bubbles.  The Veranda at HD was fine but I only  bought a piece from them and know others have had hit and miss issues.  Photo shows the Menard's stuff after breaking it down on the table saw.  The sticker side still has the finish.

DSC_0485_zps069283ac.jpg

Edited by Travis

I was at Home Depot recently and asked the lumber guy if they had any PVC decking. He looked at me like what are you taking about? 

ROFL.  You have epitomized one of my least favorite types of encounters at Home Depot or Lowes.  

"You are an idiot because I don't know what you are talking about."  LOL  

The classic was the day I asked a guy in electrical where to find knock out bushings.  Then I had to describe them.  To which he said they didn't make anything like that.  Finally I asked if there was somebody assigned to electrical who could help, and he replied he was in charge of electrical.  I couldn't let it go and asked if he there because he was good with helping customers or because he knew something about electrical.  That's when he hit me with, "I was an electrical contractor before I came here!"  I didn't reply with the obvious retort, but silently held up one hand while I pulled out my wallet with the other and then showed him my contractor's license card.  He turned red, his cheeks clenched up, and I think he would have hit me if he hadn't been on the job and afraid to get fired.  

I can't count the number of times people at Home Depot or Lowes have tried to act like I was an idiot because they didn't have a clue.  I really enjoy going into a store and having somebody actually help me when I need it, and I don't mean flyby help.  Unfortunately Lowes and Home Depot fail in that department as often as they succeed.  I really like HDs website and new mobile web site for the smart phone that not only tells me if they have it, but where its located in the store.  Sometimes they have locations listed that don't make sense, but usually anybody in the store can help with that.  Lowes is close, but not quite as good with their web development.

And with that I take my hat off in remembrance of the stores who came before and laid down their lives to the computer revolution so that those who came after could benefit.  Anybody remember a great hardware wholesaler called Arizona Hardware or a great electronics wholesaler called Arius?  Both awesome distributors brought to their knees and beheaded by failed attempts at computerization or major computer system upgrades. 

Oops.  I think I accidentally stepped into the Way Back Machine.  LOL.  

Edited by Bob La Londe
  • Like 1

That's the future I guess. The only jobs out there are with Walmart type stores. All the manufacturing jobs are offshore. Kids coming out of university only to work at Macdos. If you are over 50 you better not loose your job or the only thing available will be a greeter at SAMs store. It the devolution of the the American Dream. It's a shame to see where things have gone.

• Like 1

I know we have gotten off subject, but I really enjoyed Bob’s post. I am sure we have all come across this attitude thing, it is based on knowledge pride and is a very western fault. Staff who have worked in the store for a few years and think they know it all, but don’t and feel belittled if they are forced to learn a little more.

The biggest problem is inexperienced staff, but this is not rocket science and will not take long to learn the basics of their products with a little effort. But who is going to make that effort when you are on minimum wages. Well this is a bad attitude. Do the job properly and if you don’t like the wages then find another job.

I went shopping in a tool store only a few days ago. It wasn’t a supermarket, but a counter store. The girl serving me had worked in accounts for seven years, but today she had to fill in at the counter. The first thing she said was that she knew very little about tools but would do her best. On top of these problems, we also had the language problems, but she did speak a little English.

I was buying a powered hand drill. It had to have hammer capability and a screw adjuster for speed control for screw driver use and not be too heavy. It took some explaining, but with the help of the customer next to me, we taught her all the features of the hand drills and she produced what I wanted.

Next I wanted an angle grinder machine with a flapwheel attachment. I chose the 750W version and we had a teaching session on Wattages and power. She plugged the machine in for me, but it was way too fast for the lighter jobs and had no speed control. She now knew exactly what I wanted and came back with the perfect machine.

I now wanted a Dremel, but they did not stock Dremel. The machines that they had were way too big and clumsy for my application. I acted out an engraving action, holding the huge machine like a pen. Her eyes lit up and she disappeared into the stockroom and came back with a dusty old box. She removed a motor with a flexi-drive and a foot switch. Her experience in stock control solved the problem this time and I got a superb piece of kit.

The staff, other customers and myself all helped this girl to solve my problems and taught her some engineering. She taught them a little about stock control and everyone connected with a good attitude and lots of smiles. Opening all the boxes for the stuff that did not work for me was no inconvenience to them. All that mattered to the staff was that I got exactly what I wanted. I shook hands with the staff and congratulated the girl on a good job.

This is how tool shopping should be, regardless of how much you get paid. As pay rates go, this staff would have been equally low paid as staff in western stores, but they took pride in their job, not the knowledge which is just a tool to help them do the job better.

Dave

• Like 1

I really take issue with the "if all you are going to pay" point of view.  I've worked for minimum wage, I've worked for piece work, I've worked on commission only, and I've been an employer.  

If somebody agreed to do the job for whatever the pay is then they are cheating their employer and not living up to their word if they don't do it to the best of their ability.  On their own time they can look for a new job, or try to improve themselves, but an employment agreement is just that.  An agreement.  If one party entered into any other kind of contract in such bad faith they could legally be held accountable for failing to perform.  When it comes to an hourly employee you have to pay them whether they do the job or not.  Your only recourse is to ask them to leave and you get punished for that too.  

Sorry.  I just had to pull a Mark and take one more crack at the off topic argument.  No offense Mark.  

• Like 1

Hahaha...Bob, you're such a meanie!

I had my own company for 40 years, and, before that, I was a union carpenter for 11 years.

When I made journeyman, my take home was a little over $100 a week.  When I left the union, they were taking more than that out of my check for withholding and benefits, and a journeyman was making $25+- an hour.

When I folded my business, carpenters were making roughly the same $25/hour, even though the cost of living in the 40 years had gone up astronomically.

Real wages, in relation to the cost of living, have been in a 40 year decline, and so has minimum wage, even though the wealth in this country has grown exponentially. 

We don't see the benefits of that wealth because it is earned oversees, on the backs of cheap labor, and using the tools and methods first developed here, by US workers.  All we see is service jobs, to serve the wealthy.  If you have a needed skill, you're paid.  If not, you're ignored.

That is not the American way.  A person willing to work hard 40 hours a week should be able to survive, raise a family, and build a future for their kids.

This race to the bottom/dog-eat-dog system is not how we insure a decent future for our kids.  All it does is make rich people richer, at our expense.

Bob - indeed yes. If you are very good at your job, there is more chance of promotion and less chance of eviction. It is not that difficult to learn about the products that you are selling.

Stores should take a leaf from Facebook and introduce the like system; take a 'like' card, write the staff name, write name and phone number, insert in 'Like' box. If someone helps you beyond 'third isle, top shelf', you would have no problem making that little effort.

Dave

Bob - indeed yes. If you are very good at your job, there is more chance of promotion and less chance of eviction. It is not that difficult to learn about the products that you are selling.

Stores should take a leaf from Facebook and introduce the like system; take a 'like' card, write the staff name, write name and phone number, insert in 'Like' box. If someone helps you beyond 'third isle, top shelf', you would have no problem making that little effort.

Dave

1st card goes to the girl in paint... I know exactly where Durhams Water Puddy is, but she has no problem showing me every visit anyway

Wow, what happened to the PVC discussion?

I found the PVC, cut a bait out, installed screws. I have not tested it yet. First impression is it's very soft and I'm not sure I would trust it on big fish and I'm also concerned with the amount of lead it will take to get it to sink. I do like how it cuts and shapes, messy but easy.

RM

Edited by RiverMan

You need to do a pull test for your own confidence:

Set up a simple test piece, hang from a roof beam or door frame. A bucket of water hanging from the bait eye. An average bucket will hold 10 Liters = 10Kg = 22Lb.

My pull tests have supported this weight and more for 48 hours. I would say that if it holds 10 liters for 24 hours then you are good.

Dave

• Like 1

I've found the AZEK decking is stronger, and slightly less buoyant, than their trim board, about the same as poplar.

I drill tight pilot holes for my hardware, screw the sst screw eyes in and back out again, to cut threads into the PVC, then coat with brush-on super glue and run them back in.  The excess makes a little mound around the eye, and keeps it from turning.

I have never had a screw eye come out.

I've make baits with the trim that are only 1/2" thick, and the largest bass I've caught on that one is 7 lbs.

PVC doesn't like impacts with concrete.  It can crack where any lip is cut into it.

But I've fished cranks, jerkbaits, glidebaits, and jointed swimbaits made from it since JR Hopkins first suggested using it, and never had a bait fail from a fish.

You need to do a pull test for your own confidence:

Set up a simple test piece, hang from a roof beam or door frame. A bucket of water hanging from the bait eye. An average bucket will hold 10 Liters = 10Kg = 22Lb.

My pull tests have supported this weight and more for 48 hours. I would say that if it holds 10 liters for 24 hours then you are good.

Dave

That's pretty good.  I am sure that some of the hooks used for some hard baits would straighten out with that much force.