So I'm about to start creating balsa crankbaits. I'm needing some help. I have the shop, the tools to cut, shape, drill, and paint. But I'm needing materials, so some assistance on where the best place to purchase stuff would be great. I need Paint, circuit board material, lexan, ballast weights, wood, and some general knowledge questions answered. I really would like to make a high quality product that not only looks good but works good too. And LASTS. What I want to know is what are some of the best ways to...cut bills, insert bills and line ties as well as hook hangers, I want to foil baits, so any info on what works for you or products that you've used would be awesome.

Google McMaster Carr... They have just about every material you could possibly need... I havnt used them, but only because their site doesn't get along with my mobile phone

As for the build.. Youtube is a great place to start, videos give a better idea of the process... Check out The Handmade Fisherman

There are endless techniques to get the same end result... That's where TU comes in.... Do a search on each topic you mentioned and you will find many answers to choose from... Some will suit you, some wont.... If you're unsure, questions are allowed too

• Like 1

Well I learned a lot last night from cutting some balsa. Just bought some cheap 1/4 inch sheets to play with. Learning the grain of the wood and which way to cut. I've found out it's a lot more difficult to cut the shapes than I previously thought it might be. One thing I've read is a lot of guys will "hand pick" their balsa blocks. Well my question is where do you go to get that stuff so you can "hand pick" it? Most places do t have a wide selection of balsa laying around. As for belly weights and bills, I have got that figured out.

Let me start off with saying that I'm new here at TU. So I would like to say hello and I'm learning and enjoying the info given here.

When I start something new I try to get as much information as I can. YouTube is a great place to get information. I to have a "workshop" but found that I need more specific tools for this. Amazon is a good vendor to get specific material and tools, but you will find that there are a lot of vendors out there to get materials or tools, one of these I use is jannsnetcraft.com. There is a thread in the forum's that is "pinned" and has many vendors there that I will use in time.

I also found that I wanted a "wood carving duplicator", so I made one. It works great, the operator is in a learning curve tho.

I hope this helps and I felt this was a good place to jump in;

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

Google McMaster Carr... They have just about every material you could possibly need... I havnt used them, but only because their site doesn't get along with my mobile phone

As for the build.. Youtube is a great place to start, videos give a better idea of the process... Check out The Handmade Fisherman

There are endless techniques to get the same end result... That's where TU comes in.... Do a search on each topic you mentioned and you will find many answers to choose from... Some will suit you, some wont.... If you're unsure, questions are allowed too

x2