Basseducer

Powder Coat Oven

49 minutes ago, Bob La Londe said:

I talked a friend out of a small oven today.  Well talk and a little cash.  I'll give it a shot in the next couple days and see how it does.   If it works out well I'll tell all you guys.  If it turds up well... I might not say anything.  LOL.  Its actually a largish counter top convection oven.  I don't know how that's going to work out, but I will find out. 

Does it give you the choice to turn the convection fan on/off? You may have a good score there either way.

I can get over 50 3/8oz. jigs in mine easy. Probably closer to 65-70 if I packed them in tight.

That's what I have, Bob. I think it came from Wally mart. It has worked great and I use an oven thermometer but it has been bullet proof. Has a timer, heats to 400+,, does all my bass size jigs including spinnerbaits when I use powder on them. I think you'll be OK with it.

Well, the oven from my friend didn't materialize, so I picked up a small toaster oven off one of the local exchanges on Facebook.  It seemed to be good with an on board shut off timer, but alas, the longest setting was only about ten minutes when I tested.  Still I wanted to powder coat some stuff.  I used some PowderTec powder and some Harbor Freight powder.  

I had some issues with both but the Harbor Freight powder had more issues.  About half the Powder Tec stuff partially filled in the eye sockets on some spinner baits.

The Harbor Freight stuff went on very thick no matter how careful I was and was so thick it ran down the hook and dripped in the oven.  I think I recall somebody said they had similar problems with HF powder in the past, so that part might not just be my methods.

I wonder if maybe I was getting the baits (jigs and spinnerbaits) to hot before I dipped them in the powder.  

Obviously I need to work on my technique.  Both passed drop tests after curing.  I think the next after hours project will have to be making some fluid beds.  I think I have all the fixings except maybe the brown paper bags for air diffusers.  

PC1.jpg

PC2.jpg

PC3.jpg

PC4.jpg

PC5.jpg

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff

Ok... I decided to give the HF powder another try.  Just with some flipping jigs since their finish is more forgiving anyway.  I I heated the jig a lot less, and swirled it thru the powder poured out in a shallow pan really quick.  I got a nearly complete coating, but there still seemed to be some spots where it looked to thick.  It did thoroughly coat the jig, but it was a dry powdery look.  I'm ok with that if I can get a coating that isn't as thick as my last attempt.  I exposed the jig to the heat gun (still on high) for about 1 second per side.  Then after it was coated I repeated that.  One second per side, and it flowed out fairly nicely.  This batch is in the oven now.  I should be ready to turn it off and crack the door in about two minutes.  

23 hours ago, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

Ok... I decided to give the HF powder another try.  Just with some flipping jigs since their finish is more forgiving anyway.  I I heated the jig a lot less, and swirled it thru the powder poured out in a shallow pan really quick.  I got a nearly complete coating, but there still seemed to be some spots where it looked to thick.  It did thoroughly coat the jig, but it was a dry powdery look.  I'm ok with that if I can get a coating that isn't as thick as my last attempt.  I exposed the jig to the heat gun (still on high) for about 1 second per side.  Then after it was coated I repeated that.  One second per side, and it flowed out fairly nicely.  This batch is in the oven now.  I should be ready to turn it off and crack the door in about two minutes.  

Bob, I tried some of that HF powder when I first started powder painting. I did not like it and had the same kinda results. Went on thick, ran, dripped. IMO, your setting yourself up for frustration with it. Go to Columbia Coatings website and order you some good quality American powder and you'll be much happier. I gave mine away and was glad to see it go. Columbia sells their powder by the pound at a decent price compared to buying it 2 ounces at a time. JMO, YMMV.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Apdriver said:

Bob, I tried some of that HF powder when I first started powder painting. I did not like it and had the same kinda results. Went on thick, ran, dripped. IMO, your setting yourself up for frustration with it. Go to Columbia Coatings website and order you some good quality American powder and you'll be much happier. I gave mine away and was glad to see it go. Columbia sells their powder by the pound at a decent price compared to buying it 2 ounces at a time. JMO, YMMV.

Thanks.  I've about come to the same conclusions.  I only make jigs and spinner baits for my own use and to test customer molds.  Half of my interest in powder coating is personal, and half is so I have something to say when a customer is having problems and they ask me for help.  Its amazing to me how many read this forum, but won't post a question when they have a problem.  Anyway a lot of them ask me via email and until now I didn't have any first hand experience.  

I agree about the HF coatings, but I'll use them up now that I have an idea how they perform.  I won't use them on anything with important fine details though.  I've also been reading up on powder coating wood.  (Yes its a real thing.)  Most of the resources I've found so far seem to be disinclined to share any actual useful information, but rather wish to get people to hire a shop to powder coat for them.  Still I'll probably do some experiments of my own with wood and MDF, and the cheap HF powder may get to show me its limitations there too.  

37 minutes ago, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

Thanks.  I've about come to the same conclusions.  I only make jigs and spinner baits for my own use and to test customer molds.  Half of my interest in powder coating is personal, and half is so I have something to say when a customer is having problems and they ask me for help.  Its amazing to me how many read this forum, but won't post a question when they have a problem.  Anyway a lot of them ask me via email and until now I didn't have any first hand experience.  

I agree about the HF coatings, but I'll use them up now that I have an idea how they perform.  I won't use them on anything with important fine details though.  I've also been reading up on powder coating wood.  (Yes its a real thing.)  Most of the resources I've found so far seem to be disinclined to share any actual useful information, but rather wish to get people to hire a shop to powder coat for them.  Still I'll probably do some experiments of my own with wood and MDF, and the cheap HF powder may get to show me its limitations there too.  

I  befriended a local powder-painter

owner.  Turns out we both like to fish in saltwater.

I showed him an assortment of unpainted jigs.  He was interested in what I was doing, and willing to help by selling me PP @ cost.

Check out a coater in your area, you might find someone that can help you too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fshng2 said:

I  befriended a local powder-painter

owner.  Turns out we both like to fish in saltwater.

I showed him an assortment of unpainted jigs.  He was interested in what I was doing, and willing to help by selling me PP @ cost.

Check out a coater in your area, you might find someone that can help you too.

That's great advice.