Mountain Man 26

Cork As Microballoon Substitue

your problem with cork is it floats even within resin. When you pour it into the mold it will float upward to wherever the sprue is. Balloons suspend within the resin. My experiment was not favorable. What is the reason for not wanting to use microballoons?

Sounds like you need to build a mold rotator... lol

Mark, I've got some samples of different grinds coming from a cork supplier. I'll post my results. I read on the Dahlberg forum where Larry recomended pouring a hard resin bottom with ballast to a molded bait, then pouring foam for the upper portion. Cork floating to the top of the mold cavity would accomplish the same thing...I think??

The finer the cork fragments, the better the suspension. This is why MB's work, because they are so fine that they float in air. It is also what makes them dangerous.

Cork dust has the same density as cork grinds. What makes dust work, is that they cannot overcome the viscosity of the resin, and so they suspend.

Dave

• Like 1

Mark - you are probably right.

I have tried a few things for this purpose and nothing comes even close to the MB's. We will continue to look for a substitute, but I don't think that cork is going to be it.

Expanded polystyrene is very light, but getting it to a fine powder is the problem. When I tried it, I used too large a chunk. I tried a food mixer, but that was a joke.

To reduce styrene will have to be a sanding process and you are going to have to figure out some kind of jig/machine to do it.

Dave

Ok, I got 3 samples of cork product and did some tests. I'll get to the meat. The 40/80 dust performed better than glass microballoons in all ways.

1- It didn't float out of the bag when I scooped it to put it in the resin.

2- It mixed and poured very well into my mold.

3- It suspended perfectly in the lure blank. It actually rose 1/8 of an inch from the bottom of the lure which gave my figure 8 hook hangers pure resin to anchor in.

4- The lure had a higher buoyancy with cork dust than that of a blank with the same amount of micro balloons. I had to increase my ballast to get the jerkbait to suspend.

If I knew how to post a pic, I would post a pic of a jerkbait blank I poured with the cork dust.

I'm working to get a deal with a supplier and post all contacts for others to use. Its the biggest "eureka" I've had since I got into this back in 2006. Hope it'll help out others and give you a healthier alternative to glass mb's. It sure works for me.

• Like 1

Great finding Mountain Man,

I've also considered using cork dust for other lure projects like you mentioned. I have a bag of it and use it for covering countersunk weights in fake dog biscuit baits.

I'd love to see some pics.

You can upload them to postimage.org, and then copy and paste the URL into your post. Like this. (Sorry, copy the one above "Thumbnail for forums (1)")

Grab_2.jpg

Edited by Dave Rennie

Sorry for the delay. It took some time to find the best dealer for my needs. I went with Jelinek Cork Group in Oakville, ON. I settled on the Graulated Cork 0 mm-0.2 mm. It's a bit finer than what I tested with, but yields even better results. I actually have to use less 0mm-0.2mm cork dust than 0.2mm-0.4mm cork dust to achieve the same bouantncy. There is a 5 lb. minimum you must purchase. I got 10 lbs. delivered for $70ish. That looks like about 7-8 US gal. I am well pleased. It has opened up a whole new world in lure making for me. I hope it will be a blessing to you as well. Rangers Lead The Way!

The fact that you can actually purchase the cork granulated, and so fine, is a great plus. 7 - 8 gallons for a lifetimes supply for $70 sounds like a bargain to me. If you wanted to sell off smaller quantities, I am sure you would have no trouble finding buyers.

Dave