jonister

Paint Pens

So i have recently been thinking about using paint pens, specifically Copics on my flies/jigs and was wondering how it holds up for people. i have the whole set up and have used it on hard baits and casting inserts and liked its ease of use but it did bleed a bit too much for my liking so away it went into the drawer. I have been seeing it used on flies on youtube though and was wondering if it held up on the hair, and if it needed some sort of topcoat. Now i know a coat of Devcon or Solarez isnt going to work here so i was wondering if there is a sort of "fly topcoat" or if it will be fine just plain. Thanks guys!

P.S. im not a very "regular" fly tier so forgive me if i seem inexperianced (because i am :P ) 

I have used many types of "markers" and pens to add highlights and tints to hair, feathers and bodies on flies and fly rod poppers with out problem.  I will not say they are a bright as the day I made them but still look good to me after a couple of seasons.  You can always retouch anything that fades any time you want to.  Just make sure the markers have the word "Permanent" somewhere in the label. 

Edited by JimP

That helps alot, Thanks Jim! The Copics are permanent so i think it will get the job done. I havent had the best of luck on hard baits but i dress treble hooks and tie bucktails and jigs and flies and etc etc and will give it a try soon! i really enjoy airbrushing but i really dont want to get out the brush every time i want to touch up some hair and have to buy really really volatile paint that would stay on hair so even if it fades over time this will still be better and like you said i can always do touching up! Thanks!

Jonister:

Just a bit more feed back about coloring lures.  I have read about poor color fast qualities of some of the "Copic" pens.  Some colors are worse than others. The Copic pens are an alcohol base tint, neither bad or good just saying.  I have had good luck with "Sharpies." At a local craft store I found a set of "Sharpie" Neons. The color of the "Neons" is very intense.  A set of five colors for less than one Copic pen.  The "Sharpies" are inexpensive, several tip (nibs) sizes and shapes for different amounts of detail and you can get them almost anywhere.

Try some of each and you will know in short order what works for you.

Here is a link to the Sharpie Neon pens.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Point-Permanent-Markers-Colored/dp/B00BEYXGNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442017090&sr=8-1&keywords=sharpie+neon

Good to hear more people like sharpies! even better if i can use them on flies and jigs! I am a strong beleiver in sharpies on cranks but hadnt tried them on flies. I have a Box full of sharpies. ill try them too! maybe i can fit one to the copic air brush. copics are very expensive, i agree with that 100 %, and for the price of one i can get a pack of black sharpies. Ill give both a try here soon when i tie trebles for a frog im working on. Thanks again!

For hair it is a Sharpie!!! I haven't used the Copic pens but I do use the Quick Coat Lure Markers and they are valve activated paint sticks with different felt tips. Anyway, I found the paint bleeds with certain hair because it acts like a wick but sharpie markers work well and the color has stayed on and this is on hair that is submerged as my hair is tied to a jig and not just a hook like a fly.