Brandt

New Soft "bladebait" Proto

Much better - thank you.

Very nice job on the lure.

The swim action is not visible unfortunately. It is very difficult, I know, to work the lure and video at the same time. Next time, hold the camera still and pull the lure past the field of view. Better still, if you can mount the camera on a tripod, but not absolutely necessary for success.

Look through other videos like what you want to produce and see how they did it.

Dave

Much better - thank you.

Very nice job on the lure.

The swim action is not visible unfortunately. It is very difficult, I know, to work the lure and video at the same time. Next time, hold the camera still and pull the lure past the field of view. Better still, if you can mount the camera on a tripod, but not absolutely necessary for success.

Look through other videos like what you want to produce and see how they did it.

Dave

Yes, i know video is really shitty. I just tested it first time on water and filmed it with iphone

its gonna be much better video later, when bait is finished

here is other bait that i made, ( much better video)

Mikael

The spoon bait is awesome!... Nice work!!!

Cameras on phones are finicky, but thats all i use... Obviously clear water is a must, but i also find shallow water makes better footage than deep water for some reason..... The lure seems to disappear into the background if i film in deep water

The 'S' shaped spoon is one of my favorite lures and I have had a lot of success with it, on trout, perch and pike.

This is the one swimming lure (as opposed to spinning) that I have not yet figured out the fluid dynamics.

Your lure shows a super impersonation of a dying fish, but have you ever managed to get it to swim with the traditional wide waggle.

Dave

The spoon bait is awesome!... Nice work!!!

Cameras on phones are finicky, but thats all i use... Obviously clear water is a must, but i also find shallow water makes better footage than deep water for some reason..... The lure seems to disappear into the background if i film in deep water

thx.

Soo true with phone cameras , but they are better than nothing

The 'S' shaped spoon is one of my favorite lures and I have had a lot of success with it, on trout, perch and pike.

This is the one swimming lure (as opposed to spinning) that I have not yet figured out the fluid dynamics.

Your lure shows a super impersonation of a dying fish, but have you ever managed to get it to swim with the traditional wide waggle.

Dave

its diffucult to get it swim perfectly and i have to compromise in few places !

but it fishes very good pikes, trout , perch and zander atleast here in Finland

Because it has soft skin and i wanted it to be changeable ( hook position)

package has extra skin on it, so when soft skin is damaged its easy to change it, we also sell extra skins seperately

Mikael

I have no doubt at all of its catching abilities. Also, the soft exterior will no doubt cause the fish to hold on that fraction longer than a hard metal spoon, an advantage that will give a higher percentage of hook-ups.

The interchangeable feature of the lure is progressive and original, and I like it very much.

I am now going to have to think more about the fluid mechanics of the lure and see if I can work out how the 'S' spoon works, as it has been several years since I last thought about it without success. My knowledge and understanding of lure mechanics has moved on, so I may have enough to crack it.

Only understanding the fluid mechanics will lead to the waggle action. This lure has grabbed my interest, hope you don't mind :)

Dave

I have no doubt at all of its catching abilities. Also, the soft exterior will no doubt cause the fish to hold on that fraction longer than a hard metal spoon, an advantage that will give a higher percentage of hook-ups.

The interchangeable feature of the lure is progressive and original, and I like it very much.

I am now going to have to think more about the fluid mechanics of the lure and see if I can work out how the 'S' spoon works, as it has been several years since I last thought about it without success. My knowledge and understanding of lure mechanics has moved on, so I may have enough to crack it.

Only understanding the fluid mechanics will lead to the waggle action. This lure has grabbed my interest, hope you don't mind :)

Dave

Weight balance , shape of the spoon , hook position /size (soft spoon case) , material of the spoon,

mikael

Indeed, all these are factors that will have an effect on whether the action works or not.

What I am talking about though, is what does the water do to force the action. Vortices drive the lure, but notice how the lure section always stands vertical and swings from side-to-side.

Questions:

what causes the vertical attitude?

How does the lure start?

Where do the vortices form?

At what point in the cycle do they form?

How do the vortices tie together?

I can answer the first question and the last question. No2 is the hardest. Once I work out No3 and 4, No2 will follow and then I will be able to see a complete picture.

Once I have the picture, I can apply the effect that the plastisol glove has and changing the hook position has. I should then be able to suggest modifications that will re-introduce the waggle.

Just had a look and cannot find my bag of old lures. This contained all my early work and I know there were a couple of spoons in there. This is such a shame, there was some weird and wonderful stuff in that bag.

I will just have to model it on CAD and use that.

Dave

Ive been thinking about spoons for a while, but i havnt come up with a concept that i like yet....... Im like you Brandt, i have a hard time making a lure that has been made before.. I have to change something or it isnt mine

Dave, I learn by watching.. Found some videos a while back of a guy with some sort of "test tunnel".... I looked them up again, heres one i liked, maybe it will help you on your quest

Fishing lure Test tank lure testing Dec 2011.wmv:

You are the fluid mechanics expert, maybe you can gather more from this than i did

What i see:

A spoon is basically the opposite of a crank bait...

- while the crank bait is a battle between buoyancy and fluid pressure, a spoon is a battle between gravity and lift

-Body WIDTH and lip angle dictate the attitude of the crank bait.. For the spoon its LENGTH and bend angle

- the frequency of a crank bait is predicted by balast and lip width, like a pendulum with weight and distance... The spoon seems eratic, but i can almost see a pattern/cycle to the action... Maybe that's where your vortex comes into play

• Like 1

Ive been thinking about spoons for a while, but i havnt come up with a concept that i like yet....... Im like you Brandt, i have a hard time making a lure that has been made before.. I have to change something or it isnt mine

Dave, I learn by watching.. Found some videos a while back of a guy with some sort of "test tunnel".... I looked them up again, heres one i liked, maybe it will help you on your quest

You are the fluid mechanics expert, maybe you can gather more from this than i did

What i see:

- while the crank bait is a battle between buoyancy and fluid pressure, a spoon is a battle between gravity and lift

-Body WIDTH and lip angle dictate the attitude of the crank bait.. For the spoon its LENGTH and bend angle

- the frequency of a crank bait is predicted by balast and lip width, like a pendulum with weight and distance... The spoon seems eratic, but i can almost see a pattern/cycle to the action... Maybe that's where your vortex comes into play

What i see:

Soo true with hard to find something new

But i still have few ideas on my mind , but i post those whem i have tested them

Here is my first invention jigwobbler what i did few years ago

Edited by Brandt

Soo true with hard to find something new

But i still have few ideas on my mind , but i post those whem i have tested them

Here is my first invention jigwobbler what i did few years ago

2 original AND impressive designs here!.. I like your style!!

And youve obviously taken it beyond a hobby... An inspiration to a guy like me!..... Im just getting started, but maybe someday!?