Tally

Crank bait rod

I have been using a 6 ft G Loomis (the oldies) for cranking, I am looking for a 7 ft rod to get additional distance yet one that will perform with deep water cranks. Any suggestions or direction would be aprreciated. I will be using this for bass only.

Thanks

Tally

I have been using a Bass Pro Shops MH Rick Clunn crankbait rod for three years now. Im sold. I have 3 of them. Some of the guys around here use the GLoomis IMX 843 in MH. I don't think you could go wrong with St. Croix either. I have looked at allot of their rods and they are all quality.

Skeeter

I just built a couple for myself. Both are made on St Croix SC1 blanks. The midnight blue ones. They call it thier Pro Glass. Very Nice blanks. I built the 6.6 MH and 6.6 M both have a moderate action. These rods are available in a factory built rod also. I believe they go for around $60-70 or so. This series has been discontinued recently but you should be able to find some around

I have a BPS XPS extreme which is nice good price as well (99.00) and a Daiwa heartland z 6'7'' glass which is great the price is not quite as nice (459.00) Try one of the bass pro rods if you don't liek it they will happily take it back and refund your money they also have great service I broke a 2yr rod and they gave me a new one no questions asked.

Well I am very glad I asked this question. I was leaning toward a G Loomis, just because that is all I have used for the past 25 years, but now I am going to take a hard look at the BPS Rick Clunn crankbait rod. It is hard for me to understand how the G Loomis sells for $200 + and the BPS Clunn sells for $79. What is the difference?

If indeed, Rick Clunn had input on how this rod was built, it should be a preety good rod and for less than half the price. :?:huh:

Tally

The Rick Clunn rod is a little heavier since they clearcoat the rod. The Loomis rods etc really don't have the coating. While this does lessen the weight, it also leave the blank open to knicks. Big enough knicks will weaken the blank. The Clunn rod has Fuji SIC concept guides. According to Mattman on Cermit guides are above these. I have caught 34 lb. cat fish on my rod and the rod came through without any problem what so ever. No bent guides or nothing. The rod is not as light as an IMX but it is allot lighter than All Star or Falcon. Do you have a Bass Pro Shop near you? If you hit it right they will go on sale from 49 to 59 bucks. I still like to see what I am buying. I hate crooked guides or crooked blanks. I have found both in just about every brand of rod. Send me an email. Maybe I can help.

Skeeter

Skeeter-

I now am the owner of a BPS Rick Clunn series rod, good or bad. I will give it a good test the next time I am out.

Yes, I do live close to Bass Pro. I had a $100 gift card left from Christmas, which made getting the rod that much nicer. I am going to put a Shimano Calcutta on it teamed with 10lbs mono. Me and a magnum Wiggle Wart are going to put the rod to the test.

Tally