capecodsmallie

aluminum mold pouring trouble

Getting frustrated. Tonight for some reason my pours keep coming out with what looks like stress fractures in the plastic. It's only doing it with the aluminum molds. Can't figure out if it's the plastic being too hot, mold to cold,combo of both, or am I just pouring wrong? Could it be that I'm not letting the plastic stay in the mold long enough?

I pour almost exclusively in aluminum molds. Are you getting cracks or just lines in the plastic? I've gotten lines in my baits when the plastic isn't hot enough, the aluminum dissipates heat fast, and if you're not pouring fast enough, sometimes the plastisol will cool too fast and the edge of the "puddle" will leave a line. when you pour over it.

Not trying to start an argument with you Z but I would have to say that you can pour the other half (as long as mold is warm) up to 4 minutes after pouring the first side. I have poured quite a few two sided lately and I have been experimenting with the time factor for pouring the other side.

You can do the same when making different colored tails. I will pour the color for the tail in each cavity then take the mold apart trim to desired length then pour the rest of the cavity. Sometimes this takes a while to go through the whole process. All this is done with a warm mold.

BassnG3

Senkos and other 2 piece baits are easier to laminate cause it's a 2 piece mold and it's thicker and retains more heat. You have a lot more working time. In a one piece mold you have atmosphere and aluminum dissipating heat and the plastic skins fater. I want the colors to blend or split without a line between the colors, so they have to be pretty hot. It's pretty cold where I am too, the molds don't retain heat too well. Lately I have been using a heaitng pad to warm the molds though...

I started pouring with aluminum back in May and had the same lines you're describing. Preheating the molds made them go away. The problem with just pouring with hotter plastic is shrinkage - the hotter it goes in, the more it shinks when it cools and leaves dimples on the bait on the open side of the cavity. A cooking griddle is just perfect for preheating the molds - I heat mine to 150 degrees before I start pouring. Coincidentally my wife got a new griddle for Mother's day so I can keep the old one in the worm shop.

Brian

I had lines showing up on my stick worms. but it happened every time I puored the plastic in the mold and the plastic ran down the inside wall of the two piece mold. it doesnt give me lines as bad when the mold starts to heat up, or if I pour the plastic directly in the center of the mold. just thaught i would add my two cents. good luck it seems like i learn something new every time i pour plastic , or open this web site so thanks again for all the help from all you pros.

wwwmaniaccustomlures.com