chas48

Stupid Tube Mold?

Do-it tapered jig mold in 1/8oz. with a Mustad M32833NPBN 2/0 hook and a wire weed guard.  I had to modify the mold to fit the hook, but the extra thickness of the hook makes me feel better. 

You can use a more expensive hook if you choose, but I've lost too many of them over the years to pay more than 25 cents each for rock decorations.

The modification for the hook was no harder than placing the hook in the cavity, closing the mold and firmly striking the mold directly over the hook with a hammer.

The modification for the wire weed guard was firing up the dremel with the cutting blade and grinding out the channel on one side of the mold.

If you decide to go with a wire guard, put a "U" shaped bend in the wire so it can be covered in lead so the weed guard won't pull out. 

• Like 1

Why do you have to bend the hook? You can use a ball head jig to rig a stupid tube, all the rig does is it rigs the tube weedless with an inside type jig. If I was going to get a mold to have just a stupid tube rig, I'd get the Tube TX, it is a tapered tube jig that uses a heavy hook but it is a 60 degree hook. I'd use the Trokar TK-835 in a 2/0 or 3/0, and the reason is because you are going to rig it weedless so you won't go through a bunch but more importantly the 60 degree line tie will have the line tie come out of the head at the right angle when you rig the stupid tube.  I don't  know which shaky head mold you have but all you need to do is make one and rig it up and see if it works.