brushape

Aztek Paint Question

I would contact Testors, and ask them.  

I have never used Aztek paint myself, so I can only talk about the paints I use, which are Createx, Folk Art, Wildlife, and Apple Barrel.  They are all water-based paints.  The ones labeled T shirt paints, if used to paint fabric, need to be ironed after they dry, to heat them enough to get the to change molecularly and become waterproof.  I think it's called cross linking.

I use a hair dryer to dry each coat of my paint before I apply the next.

In general, the water-based airbrush paints I use for painting my lures need to reach a higher setting than I can use without ruining my baits to do any molecular changing to become truly waterproof, so all I am really using my hair dryer for is to dry each coat more quickly and completely before adding another.  That's important, because any moisture left in the previous coat will create problems for me when I try to heat dry the next coat, and can cause the paint to bubble when the lure is exposed to heat, like from the sun on the deck of a boat, or in a storage compartment.  That will compromise the top coat, and then water can get under it and ruin the paint scheme and, potentially, the bait.

I also use the Wicked Paints by Createx, but they have a solvent in them, and don't require heat setting to convert to waterproof, from what I understand.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

Made the switch from Createx paints over to the Testors Aztek paints a while back and couldn't be happier. As far as your question about heat setting the paint, I do not heat set this paint unless I laydown a heavy pearl coat or base coat and I'm in a hurry, heat setting the paint is not a problem if you choose to do so. I haven't had any issues with these paints yet and it seems to play nice with using Etex for a clear coat.

• Like 1

Here is what Testors had to say. I guess you do not need to heat set these paints and its not recommended.

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.  The Aztek Airbrushable Paints do not need to be heat set and are not recommended for that.  The flash point is too low because they are acrylic hobby paints.  If you are painting on cloth, we recommend turning inside out and washing in cold water only.

If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Joe,

Does the paint cause more tip dry with your air brush than Createx?

I only have tip dry issues when I'm spraying a heavy black for really dark details. Last night I thinned down some black with their gloss clear and it seemed to help that issue a lot. The pearls are really what sold me on using these paints, I can spray a pretty tight line with them and I could never do that when I was using createx paints. The bond with these paints to my primer coat is also much better in my opinion.  I cut a lot of stencils from masking tape and I haven't had the paint lift a single time since I made the switch to Testors Aztek.

• Like 1