CNC Molds N Stuff

360 Fishing Platform

I use my underwater camera to help find fish and to see the topography.

Of course, most of the fresh and saltwater here in south Florida is very clear down to 40 feet or so.

The camera helps to target individual fish, leaving the undersized or unwanted species.

Also, the camera is a learning tool where I can watch the behavior of the target fish. How they react to different baits etc.

With side scan imaging on today"s sonars you can see what's out there on either side of the boat for 80 feet. Now you tell me which one is easier to find fish with. It's like trying to peer into the darkness with a pen light versus a flood light. 

Ben

According to the Lowrance techs- side scan only goes out as far as the bottom depth.EG: if the water depth is only 15 feet ,the side scan is only useful for 15 feet.I have a Gen 2 touch 12'' and 7'' on the boat. Kindly correct me as to how the side scan is useful out to 80 feet in shallow lakes.

I agree that the high tech electronics have made it much easier to find the off shore  high spots/humps spots w/ side scan and down scan.Marking and returning to a  a GPS waypoint is so easy and accurate.

edited for spelling

Edited by smallmouthaholic

I'll admit getting the math wrong, but the exact measurements have little to do with the point I was trying to make.

At a depth of 15' with a cone angle of 20 degrees a conventional depth finder is covering a 5' diameter circle. That's still a far cry from 15' on each side of the boat using side scan.

Ben