ACarrell

Cotter Pins As Screw Eyes

I decided to try an idea I had for using cotter pins as screw eyes. They're super rugged, so they seem to lend themselves to lure making. Plus Home Depot carries an assortment of sizes and lengths in stainless steel for cheap. Anyway, I wanted to make them hold more firmly than just epoxying them in, so I bend the longer tab out at a 90 degree angle in my vice. Then I used a 1/8" spiral cut bit in my drill press and free-handed channels for the pins. Do this for both sides of the lure. Then you just epoxy them in place when you join the halves of the lure. The tabs being at 90 degrees adds protection against the pins pulling out, as they can't slip down the channel.

Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words, so ......

image_7.jpg

• Like 1

Cotter pin usage comes up off an on over the years for crank construction.  I think most don't use it based on the non traditional look.  In regards to strength....for bass cranks the typical twisted wire never fail so hard to be a selling point. I never had a cotter pin (without bend) pull out a crank either but didn't make too many of them.  

If you build your baits in halves, as pictured, I would much rather use your set up for sure than twisting and bending an internal harness. 

• Like 1

I've been looking around and it seems like any builders that use them just epoxy them in ... They aren't bending the pin and routing the "L" channel like I did. Perhaps I was making more work for myself than necessary?

When I used them for swimbait hook hangers and hinges, I would always spread the ends, to give the epoxy something to lock in.  I was afraid the pins were too smooth and would work their way out eventually.

• Like 1

ACarrell - if you are looking for simpler; If I was using cotter pins, instead of bending 90 degrees, I would continue to almost 180 degrees, say 165. Drill a hole that was tight and push the pin into the hole full of epoxy. The bend would act as a non-return valve, preventing withdrawal. The stronger the withdrawal force, the more the valve would 'dig in'.

• Like 1