jonister

Feathers!

Bird season is starting up and im getting quite a few feathers and have been saving them for tying and lures and whatever, and wanted to try to dye them. I have been looking into the dyes but was wondering what the best dye is for the money, but will also hold long. I have tried cool-aid and it was ok but i want an actual dye, that i can use on other things too such as bucktails or fur, and will turn out vibrant and colorful and last long. Thanks guys, i have quite a few feathers and have been playing around with them and this was just another option i decided to explore into more :)  

Bob the Rit dye looks like it might be good. The site says it can die just about anything and it is meant to hold. Next time im in town i might have to take a detour to jo-anns. 

Fishon

Yeah its messy but to me its all part of the hobby. Besides, epoxy and paint can be real messy. Its all part of the fun  :wink:

Check out flye dye .......... It's professional dyes built specifically for hair and feathers that last forever ......... It's expensive but very little goes a long way. A guy on eBay sells small quantities so you can try it out. Just don't spill it on any carpet or fabric.

I'll echo rhahn427's recommendation to go with something specifically designed for feathers and most importantly fishing use.  A lot of dyed feathers in craft stores are not waterfast and will fade, some of the dyes they sell will as well.

Look into anything Salmon Fly Tying related and you'll find the best (usually more expensive) dyes for the bright colors you're after.  

For natural, tea and coffee work pretty well, RIT is alright but the finished color is kinda muted and weak with feathers.  Not very impressive once off the natural color ideas on proteins.

For synthetics like streamer fibers and poly rope, RIT does just fine even without the dash of vinegar crap recommended for setting.  Doesn't even need to be boiling hot, just let the materials sit for a bit in reasonably hot water w/dash of dye and rinse.  

Hot RIT on proteins and natural material?  Kinda fluffy, kinda weird, not worth the bargain to me.  Chamois being an exception, but I use full strength RIT and soak cold for hours to avoid "heat curl" on the hide.  Works exceptionally well for trailers and the color holds in leather, just paint it on and let it absorb, rinse well. 

Use only ACID DYES for vibrant colors and permanent results.

Cool-aid and rit which aren't acid dyes are more pastel colors.

Best price I have found is Dharma.

They sell Jacquard and their own brand which is even better priced.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/all-fabric-dyes-from-dharma-trading-co.html?lnav=dyes.html

Dying Instructions

Tip: measure by weight only.

Weigh the dye and product and go by their recommendations for dye vs product.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/information/jacquard-acid-dye.html

http://www.veniard.com/section138/dyes-and-venpol

Might want to give these guys a shot, they have specific degreasers for feathers as well.  More important than one might think, get that part right and you'll likely see the full benefits of the colorant.

If the dye says anything about vinegar, it's an acid setting dye (even RIT).  However, that doesn't mean you get the vibrant colors that last, you gotta pay a bit more on the specialty market for such products.  It's in the product and not all acid dyes are going to be alike.

Never used Veniard myself, they are one of the swear-bys for the serious tyers and dyers.  I kinda dig the muted natty colors, hence my use of strange and cheap colorants.

It's a messy and time consuming job, by the best and make it worth the effort.  Long string across the room, clothes pins or small clips, you'll know what I mean when you have a lot of wet feathers.  Flat drying is enticing until there's wind or a fan gets turned on, don't go there.  You can "stem" bigger feathers in a foam sheet by just poking a bunch of holes for drying, hit The Depot or other big box home store for a sheet of whatever looks suitable.  Round pool toys/floaties work if you hang them vertically and treat them as a drying post with 360 degree feathers.  Looks cool, too :lol:

Thanks guys for all the help! the coffee feathers look great! i will soon be hanging them to dry, i might give them longer though, im still not sure. I have so many options to look into for brands. The store sells cheap coolaid so i might try that again. The Flye Dye would probably give me the best most vibrant results so i might get some samples if i can find them for a good price. Again, thanks guys! 

For years I resisted learning how to dye materials, but I finally took the plunge.  Here's all the threads I did and all the different dye's I tried.  I'm posting a link to it as there is a lot of stuff, from how to clean them correctly and the proper jars to use - TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!!!!!!!LOL  

Read through them and if you have any questions I'll try and help you out.  I am by no mean an expert but I can try and steer you away from all the mistakes I made.  

Although I like some of the kool-aid and RIT colors, my favorite dyes have turned out to be Fly Dye from Anglers Workshop and Veniards Dye that I get from Stone River Outfitters in New Hampshire (they only order the Veniards twice a year, so at times they can be out of some colors) - but you can also get it from Trout Catchers in England.  

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-tying-lure-making-forum/315010-chartruse-dye/ 

Will do! thanks for the link too, that will help a ton. I tried coffee and it died the big feathers nicely but my pin feathers kinda got into a jumbled mess and didnt really dry so i threw them out. Next time im at the store i will try to get some cool aid. I will also look around for some actual feather dye when i go into town. 

Some of the Kool-Aid colors work good others don't.  but the Fly Dye from Anglers Workshop at $7.95 a jar works good - Yes it doesn't look like a lot of dye but when you're only using a 1/2 teaspoon it does leave a lot.  And also consider that

RIT liquid dye runs anywhere from $3.50 to $4, which will make 2 batchs of dye (each one takes 1/2 bottle).  If doing a bucktail your probably looking at the whole bottle

And neither Jacquards or RIT has Flourescent colors.  

On feathers you can trim the fluffy stuff off unless you use certain colors of it on other fly patterns.  Unless you have a really good fly shop in your area you won't find the Veniards, and Fly Dye is a product of Anglers Workshop.  

Y'know, Fatman...you got some really nice results!  Those crappie thread pics are impressive, I noticed you use a pretty good dose of the Kool-Aid (4 packs).  I likely would have been more impressed had I done the same, one pack certainly is a bit weak even for a small batch.  

Good point on price and results, given the color strength and amount needed it makes the specialty dyes seem not so expensive in the long run.  

I learned alot from folks that are much better at this than I am - and if I can pass along something to save someone some time and money then it's paying it forward for what I learned from them.   

Simple stuff:

Never take the wifes stuff!!  Buy your own strainers and measuring spoons (get metal).  buy the the wife new baking sheets and take her old ones.  

Make sure to get the raised letter Ball or Mason jars they'll take the heat.  

and have fun with it! it definately beats buying small bags of dyed feathers when you can dye your own from somthing you hunt or if a hunting buddy gives you a bunch of feathers.  

• Like 2

Never take the wifes stuff!!  Buy your own strainers and measuring spoons (get metal).  buy the the wife new baking sheets and take her old ones.

This is how you make it work in the home.

It is OK to think you are the boss, as long as deep down, you know the truth :)

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Probably one of the best tips one can give  :wink:. Having fun is why im doing it! Also because i like to mess around