CNC Molds N Stuff

Graphite

Graphite is an excellent lubricant, but that has nothing to do with this application.

Yes, graphite is a good heat insulator, but at the minuscule thickness of the graphite layer, I don't think it would have much effect.

My opinion is that graphite is an excellent mold coating, because of its repellent properties with the metal. There is nothing to inhibit the flow, there is no contact or wetting of the surface.

This also explains why you can make several pours with one application of the graphite.

I just watched a very boring video of a guy making small molds from machining graphite blocks, formerly motor brushes. This would be great for making ballast weights for crankbaits etc. I now have to search for a source of graphite blocks.

Dave

IMHO Graphite could work like grease allowing the lead spread faster. Heat insulating also could help.

May be both factors plus something else... Did you made some magic rituals? Lol

Actually, I worked in Die Casting for many years. Graphite spray was used on a number of heavier walled parts to improve metal flow and provide more reliable control over shrinkage. We were using a propietary process and over the years developed a considerable amount of knowledge and proof of the effect of graphite spray.  

No Magic rituals although Magic was in the name of the original graphite lube we used. The  graphite enabled the metal to remain above the solidus temperature which allowed for shrinkage to be fed via a controlled, timed application of pressure.