whackett

Paint Rack

Whackett: This is not the template you were looking for but a concept that can be used on any drawer.

I too had a problem locating a bottle of paint that I knew was there.  My storage was a long narrow shelf that held the bottles about three deep. My solution was an insert made of wood to fit drawers on a big box store storage cabinet.

What would make a good storage cabinet for paint?  I wanted to see most of the label to identify the opaque from the transparents and the other types as well as the various colors within the groups.  Just putting the bottles into a drawer was a disaster.  Thay all look the same, and to lay them on their sides would go bad when a lid didn't snap fully closed.  I saw a kitchen spice rack that held the bottles at about a 45 degree angle.  Problem solved except for modifiction to fit the paint bottles that we are so used to in our craft.

Most of the bottles we work with are about the same size.(35mm dia X 100mm tall) or (1 3/8" dia X 3 7/8" tall)

paint_2367.JPG

Get your self one piece of wood, 2X4 pine is what I used, that is as wide as your drawer and 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" square. Then saw at a 45 degree angle with a band saw if you can so you end up with two triangles.  One triangle is used to start the run as is, it just supports the base of the first row of bottles. All additional triangles will have grove where the bottles will lay. The ideal if you have one would be a 1 3/8' Forstner drill bit. they cut with the rim of the bit and are capable of drilling the edge of a board.  You could also sand, carve, rout or what ever your tools dictate. Long story short, every 1 3/8 of an inch cut a dip into the top edge of the triangle, repeat on other boards for as many rows as needed.  You also need a piece of very thin ply wood or even foam core sheet or cardboard would work. Cut the sheet to fit snug into the bottome of the drawer.  The plain triangle gets glued or double stick taped to the front of the drawer, angle facing towards the back.  Next, one of the grooved triangles is attached and spaced back 3/4" from the base of the first one.  Keep adding grooved triangles until the drawer is full.  I got four rows in a drawer that was 12 1/4" X 11 1/2" with some left over space in the back.  Total storge for 36 bottles located in a square foot and every label is partly visiable.

The larger bulk type bottles will still need other storage but this cleared up some clutter in my shop, hope it helps you.

paint_2368.JPG

paint_2365.JPG

paint_2367.JPG

paint_2368.JPG

paint_2365.JPG

paint_2367.JPG

paint_2368.JPG

paint_2365.JPG

paint_2367.JPG

paint_2368.JPG

paint_2365.JPG

paint_2367.JPG