goolies

Mixing & Applying Bsi 30 Minute Epoxy

Just an update.  I'm getting much better results thanks to everyone's suggestions.  The combination of thinning the epoxy and getting the total mixing time down to under 90 seconds has made a huge difference in the end result.  The space between the nose and lip on my stick baits is tight, but once I get by that area it's much easier.  Thanks.

Andy

Glad to hear your making headway Andy. Here's a little tip for applying the epoxy close to the lip. Instead of trying to brush it on in this location just load your brush with epoxy and then place the flat of the brush against the bait and close to the lip. Then apply pressure like your trying to flatten out the brush. This will allow the brush to push the epoxy down tight to the lip without the risk of brushing it onto the lip.

Ben

• Like 1

Guys, Im new.. just got my paint, airbrush, compressor, and everything else I need for the moment. Started painting a week ago. I have been using loctite epoxy. I think its done a great job so far, but again I am new to this. Whats your opinion on this brand or even something like Gorilla Epoxy?  Have any of you tried it. It takes me a while to paint, mostly because of being new and experimenting with colors. I dont want to take all that time and then use the wrong epoxy. , thanks guys. Ill post a couple photos of what Ive done so far once I figur out how to post a photo.

A ton of useful info here guys, thanks to all that have posted. I too have different issues lately to the point where I'm ready to give it up. I ve been having so many troubles that I m ready to stop painting baits for other people. Too much stress in the epoxy phase. And with this crap turning pink on me, I have my first bait coming back due to this. A handful of my own are turning pink and this sucks to have this happen to a nice paint job...OMG so upsetting. I will hang on a little while longer

cm10lber, While there are surely differences among epoxy formulations, it seems to me that it is all similar as long as you are using slow cure "30 minute" epoxy and not quick cure 5 minute epoxy, which uses a different hardener.  What counts is the end result.  TUers talk about Devcon, BSI, and Etex because they have been around a long long time and are proven products for topcoating - not because they are the only brands that work.

Fishnart -  I don't have epoxy turn pink and wonder if you are doing something "different" that might cause the problem, like using red sharpies on your baits or somehow introducing a contaminant into the mix while preping the epoxy.  Little details can be important.

• Like 1

Hey Bob P, nah...I'm not doing anything different at all. I used to mix lacquer thinner in my epoxy to thin it, only a couple drops but since learned about alcohol and now use that. This is my process: I put a little lacquer thinner in a cup and a little alcohol in a cup. I mix my epoxy and add a couple drops of the alcohol to thin and apply. I then use the LThinner to clean my brush and my used cups out for next pour....cause I'm nutty and like to recycle my stuff to save two cents lollol. When I'm done I pour the left over Lthinner back into the can for next time and good to go.  I had thought, and asked opinions on here, that maybe the Lthinner caused it to turn pink...maybe a certain brand???? or something. That's the only thing I can think of but no one on here had heard of that happening so....here I am with no clue as to why. But its dang frustrating...based on above do you have any thoughts?  Thanks

fishnart. I have not had that happen yet. Are you talkiing weeks, days or months after applying your epoxy that it turns pink? The only reason I used the Loctite brand was because I had a really hard time finding the Devcon and didnt want to resort to ordering it online. I did however find  some at Ace Hardware the other day and purchased it and have used it since. Its a bit more thicker than the Loctite but it has no odor which is good. I havent tried to thin it yet as I didnt know that you could thin it out. Maybe thats why yours has turned pink?? IDK.. but again I have only been doing this going on 3 weeks now so maybe mine just havent had the time to change in color.  I dont reuse any of my mixing cups or brushes. Ill be interested in knowing how long it took for yours to turn color and to see if you can figure out why.

Thanks and good luck

Hey Bob P, nah...I'm not doing anything different at all. I used to mix lacquer thinner in my epoxy to thin it, only a couple drops but since learned about alcohol and now use that. This is my process: I put a little lacquer thinner in a cup and a little alcohol in a cup. I mix my epoxy and add a couple drops of the alcohol to thin and apply. I then use the LThinner to clean my brush and my used cups out for next pour....cause I'm nutty and like to recycle my stuff to save two cents lollol. When I'm done I pour the left over Lthinner back into the can for next time and good to go. I had thought, and asked opinions on here, that maybe the Lthinner caused it to turn pink...maybe a certain brand???? or something. That's the only thing I can think of but no one on here had heard of that happening so....here I am with no clue as to why. But its dang frustrating...based on above do you have any thoughts? Thanks

You're not using a pink cup are you?

I use the bottom of a beer can, sometimes ive noticed the printed/stamped numbers (on the can) fade and slightly tint the epoxy when i begin to mix... But this is minimal, and i havnt noticed any change to the end result

Just another detail to point out.. You've thought of everything else

Edited by JRammit

cm...its after months that it turns pink. I don't know anything about the Locktite brand, I don't think I've heard of anyone else using it?? Yeah the Devcon you can use denatured alcohol, just a couple of drops, to thin it, it goes on easier and you can work with it just a tad bit longer.

And Jrammit...nah I'm using the clear plastic mixing cups

Sounds like you might be contaminating the LThinner by pouring it back into the container and using it again. When you say alcohol....I assume you are using Denatured Alcohol.. This is just me but i don't clean a thing. Emphysema forces me to use as much oderless items as possible. I use a new plastic medicine cup (maybe .04) a new Great Planes 3/8" Epoxy brush (.15) I do two baits a toss that in the garbage. I pay $21 for 144 brushes. Shipping is less than the cost of gas  Not getting any baits back makes it worthwhile. Getting just one bait back could result in several hundred dollars if that particular customer does not come back. Plus even if i could use solvents, I'm too lazy to clean brushes, cups, etc. 

I mentioned the contamination because that happened to me by doing basically the same thing with the DA. I would dip the brush right into the bottle it came in. After a while i started getting little pieces of what i believe is cured epoxy.when i brushed the BSI on. Now i pour a little in a shot glass and dip the brush into it. I only do this for bait # 1 of 2...and for the sole purpose of dispersing the bubbles. The shot glass is about the only thing I don't toss out. They are actually glass expresso cups I bought at Goodwill.....The pink issue intrigues me. I know you have been painting for quite a bit now....you must have changed something

Well, I've always used a medicine dropper to add either LT or alcohol to my mix. The contamination came from having a cup of LT to clean my brushes after each use. Once I was done for the day, I'd pour that LT back in the can. Now, the next pour I'd use a cup from that can to mix with the epoxy. One small cup for mixing and one small cup for cleaning brushes, but they each came from the same can. Does this make sense?? The pink thing is very weird, its not every bait, not even baits from the same batch. Seems like one bait out of many.  One thing I'm not sure about is which baits were done with LT and which ones with alcohol because I don't remember exactly when I made the switch. Does that make sense? Because its happened so gradually and after such a period of time, I don't remember that some of the baits were done with the alcohol??? Also, another interesting fact is I used to use Devcon brand. I had found some 30 min epoxy, same bottles etc at a hobby store but it wasn't Devcon. Acted the same and everything. I'm wondering if MAYBE he has something to do with this off brand??? I've tried to think of everything??

If it is taking that long to turn pink, you may never know for sure what caused it. It may in fact, already be cured. You may have done something way back then that caused the problem that you can't remember. I would eliminate everything that isn't absolutely necessary like lacquer thinner and alcohol. Don't reuse anything. I only clear a couple of lures at a time and mix that small amount on a clean piece of paper. I wonder if sunlight is causing the change in color, could it be the amber of clear coats starting to show. I have left lures in clear plastic boxes and had them change color. ONE batch turned black. Real hard to figure out the past. Good luck. Musky Glenn

looking for another top coat .. I usually use epoxy on all my lures but wanted to get some input on others .. I have a jar of moisture cure .. I want a finish like that of a bait in the store .. do I use moisture cure or another method to get a finish like that??

looking for another top coat .. I usually use epoxy on all my lures but wanted to get some input on others .. I have a jar of moisture cure .. I want a finish like that of a bait in the store .. do I use moisture cure or another method to get a finish like that??

In my opinion, DN S81 moisture cure comes closer to a "factory" finish than anything I've used and that includes quite a few different top coats.The only drawback to DN is the storage issues and once you get that figured out (tap the can method) it's all downhill from there.

Ben

• Like 1