JRammit

Tu Tube

In light of a recent conversation about videos here on TU, I came up with this idea

Instead of placing the burden on admin to create another gallery, maybe those who enjoy making and sharing videos as much as i do can post them here

Anyone with videos of a lure they made in action, or videos of a fishing trip could post them in this thread rather than starting a new one

My thoughts are that instructional/how to videos would be better placed in member submitted tutorials, so they will be easier to find using the search feature

Perhaps this could be a sticky here in the docks for anyone who wants to view the videos at any time in the future

The advantage to this idea is, your videos will always be up... Where as, a new thread will only be active until new comments stop... And those who enjoy watching the videos will not have to search here or elswhere

Anyone who posts or comments here will automatically receive a notification any time a new video is added... Comments could be organized by quoting the video post in reference

I will start

Quick trip to the lake today before football to try out some new colors on my clubber craw..... Fishing was slow, but i did manage convince a channel cat to come home for lunch

Fishing before football:

Example:

I probably had more fun playing with the bluegill than actually fishing (ha!).... Maybe it just wasn't a "pumpkin seed day", but i was to stubborn to change colors, next time ill try another

My only issue here is comments:

Perhaps the video link should be posted twice. Once in its correct location for comments and discussion, and once in the video store. Relevant text to be included with the post to make searches effective, plus a link to the comments thread/post. Comment posts in the video store thread to be deleted.

A video forum would be a better solution.

Dave

Agreed... Im not extremely cpu savy, so idk what it would take to add another forum

My aim here is a temporary fix.. Maybe if enough interest is shown it would be worth the effort to add a video forum

If not, i will just rename this thread "Rammit Tube"

JR - I agree.

CPU wise, it is not significant, no different to any other post, as the video is held on YouTube.

Existing video links could be copied and pasted to the storage thread, along with a link to the original post and some search relevant texts. One to a post.

Dave

I have only ever used bail arm reels, apart from a very nice Abu 506 close faced reel back in the 70's.

Baitcasters obviously work, but it always bothered me that energy is lost in the cast due to inertia of getting the drum turning.

I would have thought that a fixed spool or spinning reel would have been ideal for cranking, so not sure what your thinking is here.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Its gear ratio and balance

Bait casters are geared higher and have shorter crank handles

I don't really like them for the same reason you stated... They are limited to casting heavy baits because of the spool having to turn on the cast, where as spinning reels peel off the spool and are only limited by choice of line size (i have a crappie fishing rod with 4lb line that can cast a live minnow with no weight over 20 yards)

The spinning reel can do it all... But the length of the handle, paired with how fast i have to turn it seems to throw off my cadence

Sounds reasonable.

My cheapo 'Battle X spin 200' reel has a ratio of 5.15:1. The only problems with it are; the bail arm is sluggish and best operated manually. The reciprocating action does not lift the spool high enough and so the line distribution is not perfect. But, $15 I am happy enough.

Dave

Always best to close the bail manually amyway... Cranking the handle to close the bail sometimes results in tangles by pulling in unwanted slack

I like cheap gear! Less stess when using it!.... If i had a $500 rod/reel, it would stay at home because id be too afraid to take it out

Spinning reels have their time and place and frankly most bass fishing applications aren't one of them.  Yes it can be done with both but efficiency and ease of use really have to be taken into account.  With the right rod and reel you can cast a crank far enough with bait casting equipment (air drag on the bait itself and line become the limiting factor not the reel).    One might argue that just look at guys making their living fishing and see what they use...any reason for that?  See a lot of guys cranking with spinning gear, fishing traps, fishing spinner baits, fishing jigs/pigs, fishing carolina rigs, etc.....  Outside of light lining and other finesse situations not much a bait casting set up doesn't excel at in the right hands for bass fishing applications.    

As far are gear ratio.....spinning reels are usually found in the same gear ratio and/or line recovery inches per turn as bait casters.   You don't have to spend a lot to get solid equipment.  I think my Shimano Symetre is pushing 20 years old and besides regular cleaning functions nearly as well as day one.  I have a few other spinning rod/reel set ups in the same price range but they don't compare.  Many guys will point out the Pflueger President is one reel very  hard to beat with regards to bang for the buck and I know a lot of creek guys and waders like it as it is cheap, performs well, and ends up getting dunked, dropped, etc.. often in these scenarios.

I have been looking at Shimano Stradic and St. Croix Avid X to try out next.  I don't fish near as much as I used to but would much prefer decent gear in my hands.  Just think of all that money we are saving making baits just put some of that towards a quality rod/reel set up.   :lolhuh:  

Edited by Travis
  • Like 2

I know youre right Travis, everything i read about bass fishing rods confirms your points

But when you think beyond bass fishing, there is no arguement that spinning tackle is more versatile

My affliction towards spinning gear began several years ago when i was in a worse financial shape... Buying a different rod/reel for every application was not an option... With only 3 spinning rods, i could cover all types of fishing i enjoyed

Medium heavy: anything from a glob of stink bait and an egg sinker for catfish.. To dragging bottom bouncers for walleye

Medium light: a ball of power bait over a split shot for trout.. To a minnow and a bobber for whatever comes my way

Micro: tiny panfish jigs.. To.. Well, more panfish jigs

With the exception of the micro, the other two have covered all my bass fishing needs as well

But now that im better off, i think its time to upgrade!.... Its sure gonna feel wierd reeling with my right hand

Being a lefty, wouldnt your coordination be better focused on the rod rather than the reel handle??... All these years of twitching worms with my right hand (im not a lefty) and working the handle with my left, switching it up would be like starting over

Another reason i like spinning reels, theyre reversable... And left handed baitcasters are hard to find!

You two crack me up.  Here I thought locating and catching fish was the tricky part!!!!!

Left hand bait casters are relatively easy to come by anymore, especially if you don't mind ordering from Cabelas, BPS, Tackle Warehouse, etc....  Heck hard pressed not to find a left handed bait caster offering if you just click on one at BPS site.  I have a few some still new in the box.  They are older Daiwa S 103HL models.  I got them to try out flipping as they were hyped as being the "cats meow"  in some circles, as you could just engage the reel with a flip of the switch if needed.  NIB should tell you how much of a difference I found them to make.   :lolhuh:

DSC_0212_zpsvewqy7x6.jpg

Travis - It is all rather tongue in cheek, sorry about that.

Being left handed gives you skills, as you have to adapt to a right hand world. If I ever lost my right hand, apart from scruffy writing for a few weeks, it would hardly make any difference to my life, compared to a right handed person losing their good hand. Here is a video of my bad hand dexterity.

Try it.

Dave