Bud

Rapala like 5 inch minnows

I am just getting started in this lure making at 56 years old and am just doing it to add to the pleasure of fishing and hopefully the satisfaction of catching a fish on my own paint job. I haven't even made my first one yet but my wheels are rolling. I cant find anything on the web but 4 inch and 7 inch rapala like minnows. Does anyone know where I can find 5 inch, rapala like, unpainted minnow bodies? Thanks for any help and you all have a nice day. Thanks, Bud

Thanks Mesabooger. I was in there last night but when I clicked on Select size and color it wouldn't do anything. I got them ordered this time. We will have to think about that a minute Riverman. I got about 40 plastic baits coming and dont have the slightest idea what I am doing. Will have to get an air brush I guess. But I think i would like to try to whittle a little. Let me get this mess out of the way first. My sister just retired and she likes to fish with me when she gets up here to Minnesota. She dont know it yet but i am going to send her half of these lures (unpainted) just like I got them. She will curse, but I know she will like it. Thank you guys alot and have a nice morning. Bud

When you get ready to give it a try Bud feel free to write me, would be happy to provide you with some guidance. One other thing to consider, I don't own it myself but have heard that the video produced by Lunge is quite good and spells out the process of building a bait in video form, something to consider. Have fun!

Jed

Well Jed, I am back again already. U got me thinking. If a guy just wanted to try a starter kit with the wood, where would I get it? Maybe just a few skinny rapalas or a fat diver or something like that? I am sure I would need some special tools and things. Thanks, Bud

Bud,

One tool a guy has to have in my opinion is a band-saw. The band saw lets you cut out your baits and more importantly, cut a straight bill slot. Some guys here prefer to use a scroll saw...I learned on a band saw and really like it. I used to build them without a band-saw but half of my baits wouldn't run because the slot was cut incorrectly. You can buy a band saw new for about a 100 dollars, worth every penny. If you get one make sure you get a thin blade with small teeth, this allows you to cut around sharp corners.

The other tools you will need are a drill, a wood file, some sandpaper, and a strong desire to learn. When you first start it seems odd, well it did for me anyway. I just couldn't fathom taking a square piece of wood to a fish shape that would swim. I can now have a chunk of wood to a fish shape in under 5 minutes, no exageration.

You can buy wood at Home Depot or just about any lumber supply store. Good woods are cedar, poplar, basswood for floating/diving lures, mahogany and maple are good for sinking versions.

If you just want to buy some wooden bodies to finish, do a search on ebay under the keywords "musky", you will note there is a guy on there with the username "hawaiisbest" that routinely sells just wooden bodies made from basswood...I have bought from him and he's reliable.

Hardware such as hooks, split rings, screw eyes, bills, can be obtained through Janns Netcraft or Stamina, lots of others too.

Carolina Chip used to have some great tutorials at his web-site that showed the process of building a wooden bait very clearly. Maybe someone knows if those links are still available for Bud?

Hope I helped some bud, it's great fun and really makes long winters much more enjoyable.

jed

Thanks Jed. Will go look some of these things up right now. Hope I can find the instruction articles you were talking about. May take me a while to get to wood project but I will probably be crazy enough to try. If you hear someone hollowing, its probably me. Thanks, Bud

Well its a new day and have got a few things done. Got some stuff coming from Musky, Got a tutorial from Carolina Chip, although he dosen't do them anymore on his site. I begged him for a few more. Will see what happens. I am trying to find the Vidio from Lunge but not having any luck. Anyone have the Lunge addy?Thanks, Bud

All you need is a sharp knife, coping saw, some balsa and range of sand paper. Balsa cuts easy and coarse sandpaper can shape it in a hurry.

Use two peices of balsa that are half the thickness of the lure you plan to make. color one side of each piece with a marker. after the marker dries glue both colored sides toghether. This will give you a centerline to follow as you carve the bait.

Now trace a Rapala (or your own pattern) on the side of your wood and cut with a coping or scroll saw. use a sharp knife to widdle closer to the shape and profile. Use the colored centerline to make sure both sides are even.

Bud would a 5-inch Bomber Long A size 15ABON work? It's a bone colored minnow bait shallow diver with rattles in it and I don't think it has any finish on it. I think they are made that way before the factory paints them. This is where I got them.

Aberdeen Bait and Tackle

10263 NC Hwy 211

Aberdeen NC 28315

(910)-944-6016

baitntackle@pinehurst.net

Ask for this color.

15ABON- Solid Bone with yellow eyes.

If you email them the guys name is Robbie