joetheplumber

Possible New Clear Coat

Came across this product the other day and it seems like an alternative to Etex. According to their website it is much more UV stable than the other epoxy type clear coats that a lot of us use. Not sure if someone has already mentioned this before but I figured I would share it with the group. Maybe some of you technical gurus can look at the data sheet and see if it looks like it may work okay. Tight lines y'all...

http://www.artresin.com/

• Like 2

$49 for 32 oz and free shipping?  That's $1.53 per ounce.  I'm paying around $13 for 9 oz of Devcon Two Ton, plus shipping, something like $1.66 per ounce assuming a cheap $2 delivery cost.  The real interest is the Art Resin contains UV filters and an anti-yellowing agent.  That's available in some other epoxies like Flexcoat and a couple of other brands, but at higher cost than their standard formulation.  The FAQ says it cures to a "touchable" state in 8 hours, which to me suggests that it is similar in cure time to Devcon, Bob Smith, and other "30 minute" epoxies.  So I think the stuff is pretty interesting.  Thanks for the heads up, Joe 

• Like 3

It looks like the cure time on this is closer to Etex than Devcon.  From the Art Resin website:

WAIT

ArtResin needs to sit for several hours in a dust-free space while it cures. In about 8 hours it will be tacky but you will be able to pour a second coat if necessary. In about 12 hours it will be dry to the touch, and within 24 hours it will be 95% cured. It will be fully cured within 72 hours.

Hi folks,

Dave here from ArtResin.com.

Any of you into making YouTube videos? We'd love for someone from this market to try our product out and review it on YouTube. I'll send you a free sample in exchange for a video review.

We think you'll love it because it is completely clear and formulated to stay that way (we sell to artists covering their artwork—it HAS to stay clear!).

You can email me at info@artresin.com for more info, or if anyone is willing to... take the bait.. haha

- Dave

Edited by DJoseph
  • Like 1

Dave - with lure resin, it is all about the density, as most lure designers pour solid bodies. The SG (Specific Gravity) of regular resin is around 1.2 so except for very fast sinking lures, it is not of much use. Regular resin can be lightened by the addition of silica micro-balloons, but this would not work with your new product, as the main point is that it is clear.

Can you tell us the SG of the product. If it is below 0.8 I would be interested in testing the resin. If it is denser than 1.0 it may still have an application for pouring lips, but resin is brittle and this is not a good quality.

Dave

Dave - with lure resin, it is all about the density, as most lure designers pour solid bodies. The SG (Specific Gravity) of regular resin is around 1.2 so except for very fast sinking lures, it is not of much use. Regular resin can be lightened by the addition of silica micro-balloons, but this would not work with your new product, as the main point is that it is clear.

Can you tell us the SG of the product. If it is below 0.8 I would be interested in testing the resin. If it is denser than 1.0 it may still have an application for pouring lips, but resin is brittle and this is not a good quality.

Dave

This is for top coat....

Hey everyone,

We've just introduced a smaller, less expensive kit if you're looking to try ArtResin out. 8oz = $25 with free shipping. Again, totally clear epoxy resin that stays clear, and it's safe to use (no fumes, no VOCs, no respirator required... unlike all other options which are toxic!).

The offer still stands if anyone wants to try it out for free in exchange for a review video on YouTube, we'll be glad to pay for that! :)

Dave

• Like 3

Dave from ArtResin, what is the working time? Can denatured alcohol be added in the appropiate amount  to increase working time without effecting the hardness (this is usely just a few drops with Devcon 2 ton)?

Geeze I am so sorry for my slow reply! Business has been crazy (in a good way). The working time is 45 mins. What is ideal for your needs? To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if the denatured alcohol will extend the working time... we use denatured alcohol to clean our tools, etc. 

By the way, we put up a smaller kit on the site - $25 with free shipping. 8 oz of product. Trying to make it easier for people who use resin in small projects (like fishing lures and jewelry) to try our product! :)

My offer still stands though! If anyone wants to try ArtResin for free and then film their thoughts on it using their iPhone, I will send them free product with free shipping! :)

Thanks!

Dave

• Like 1

My offer still stands! If anyone wants to try ArtResin for FREE and then film their thoughts on it using their iPhone, I will send them free product with free shipping!  :) I'm not looking for some fancy video! Just tell us what you think from your perspective as a fishing guy!

Thanks!

Dave

• Like 2

I'm trying out right now also, doing a little more testing before I make a video. Preliminarily I like it. There is a long working time, I haven't tested it yet but its very slow curing compared to Devcon which is what I'm used too. You'd be able to do a lot of baits. If you don't have a turner for your baits, like me, you will have to plan on being available to turn your baits often.  It seems thin so multiple coats would be ok and maybe for some baits, a must. The jury is still out on bubbles, there weren't many when I mixed it and they SEEMED to burst with heat much like Devcon. I used it on some small baits so I plan to try it on some bigger baits. Again kind of a pain for me because I have to be around to keep turning them as I hang my baits. I did try it on a rattle trap bait and it didn't cure evenly, had ripples on the sides, I'm sure from not being turned. It did cure very clear. So on to more testing and I'll be back. I do think its worth you guys at least getting the small kit to try it out. Only time will tell about it remaining clear...fingers crossed

• Like 1