joetheplumber

Possible New Clear Coat

I think it would hold up to saltwater, but I don't know about bluefish. I don't have them here but have seen the damage on TV that they can do. Maybe quite a few coats would do it. The Art resin takes so long to cure that you can either heat it on a heater before or after you mix and it will be nice and thin for a minute or so. Also, the way I understand it, if your lures are leaking sealer than it has not had enough time to dry. Just my 2 cents! I'm sure someone who fishes the salt more than me will chime in. Good luck!

Right now it is still to cold really for fishing hard baits in my area but I did throw some of them and it held up great. I might bring them with me on my next saltwater outing. Maybe throw them for a bit and test how salt resistant they are.

• Like 1

I took one of my lures and put it in a plastic bowl filled with water and left it in there with lid closed for 9 hours. Now this obviously doesn't simulate bouncing off rocks, docks, toothy critters etc etc etc but I figure with the average cast maybe lasting 30 seconds this simulated the time in water for well over 1000 cats.

No change. Still super clear, super glossy and I could find no softening.

I can't wait to drag some cranks through the pea gravel in the river behind my house. That will be a much truer test.

I apply really thick on the first coat, then go around brushing off the excess from the nose to tail in one stroke, then wipe off the brush, and repeat.

Edit: I also have a turn table they dry on. Don't know if you do, or not.

Edited by KevinHanses

I have now used some of my cranks clear coated in Art Resin.. They performed pretty awesome.  Walleyes never left a scratch in the clear.  I still need to make a video. I just want to thank Art Resin for the opportunity of testing their product. It does perform very well. I do like it better than Etec.. Mostly because of the application.. It goes on very well and resists fish eye much better than any other epoxy. It is very, very clear and has a very high gloss..  Very good product.. I will be ordering  some just as soon as I finish my current inventory of other epoxy...

I just tried it last night for the first time. 9 hours later and still tacky. It is on my lure turner in an unheated garage. I'm hoping it was the temperature that has them still tacky but am getting concerned. Last night low was in 50's. Want to add second coat(musky lures) but from what I read it says to wait until first coat is completely dry. Not sure what to do. Any ideas?

I just tried it last night for the first time. 9 hours later and still tacky. It is on my lure turner in an unheated garage. I'm hoping it was the temperature that has them still tacky but am getting concerned. Last night low was in 50's. Want to add second coat(musky lures) but from what I read it says to wait until first coat is completely dry. Not sure what to do. Any ideas?[/quote

Give it more time. Temps will affect the cure time.

• Like 1

I just tried it last night for the first time. 9 hours later and still tacky. It is on my lure turner in an unheated garage. I'm hoping it was the temperature that has them still tacky but am getting concerned. Last night low was in 50's. Want to add second coat(musky lures) but from what I read it says to wait until first coat is completely dry. Not sure what to do. Any ideas?[/quote

Give it more time. Temps will affect the cure time.

Will hitting the lure with a hair dryer, or some other gentle heat source, speed up the curing?

Will hitting the lure with a hair dryer, or some other gentle heat source, speed up the curing?

The AR folks told me using a regular lighter near the bait will do fine.

*edit I also asked about hair dryers and they said the lighter is better because it doesn't blow.

Edited by Mad Moose Baits

Watch what you mix this in. I had it eat through a plastic cup this morning and got it all over my garage floor. So far not impressed at all.

Really? Haven't had that happen, yet, I guess. Sometimes I use the small plastic cups, but most of the time I use small Dixie cups.

How long should I wait before I apply the second coat with the Art Resin?

You can actually do a second coat as soon as the first coat has firmed up enough that the next layer can sit on top.. usually 5 hours-ish.  We used to say wait till full dry but tests have shown it's not necessary. ...sorry for my slow reply! we were at a trade show, busy busy!

I must be doing something wrong then, I can't get away from the second coat, I would absolutely love to.  Are you applying super thick on the first coat? 

Are others able to get away with one coat with this?

Thanks...

Are you dipping the lure in the resin? That's probably the best method to get all over even thick coverage...

I have now used some of my cranks clear coated in Art Resin.. They performed pretty awesome.  Walleyes never left a scratch in the clear.  I still need to make a video. I just want to thank Art Resin for the opportunity of testing their product. It does perform very well. I do like it better than Etec.. Mostly because of the application.. It goes on very well and resists fish eye much better than any other epoxy. It is very, very clear and has a very high gloss..  Very good product.. I will be ordering  some just as soon as I finish my current inventory of other epoxy...

thank you sir! glad to hear it. looking forward to the video!

I just tried it last night for the first time. 9 hours later and still tacky. It is on my lure turner in an unheated garage. I'm hoping it was the temperature that has them still tacky but am getting concerned. Last night low was in 50's. Want to add second coat(musky lures) but from what I read it says to wait until first coat is completely dry. Not sure what to do. Any ideas?

ArtResin takes 24 hrs to cure, longer in the cold. You can add a second coat after about 5 hrs, when the resin has formed a firm layer and the next layer can sit on top. We used to suggest wait the full 24 hrs before doing a second coat but tests since have shown that's not necessary.

The reason it takes 24 hr to cure is because we prioritized non-yellowing clarity and non-toxicity, and to get the non-yellowing clarity we had to pull back on the accelerating agent that causes curing to happen. That material is YELLOW and gives a yellow tinge to the entire product. We figured a little longer was worth the wait.

Watch what you mix this in. I had it eat through a plastic cup this morning and got it all over my garage floor. So far not impressed at all.

What! Never heard of this happening before. Sure resin heats up when it's mixed, they all do... but eating through a plastic cup? must have been a cheap cup! Sorry to hear that, nonetheless.