CNC Molds N Stuff

Pull Out! - Swimbait Insert Weight - Line Thru

I have not experienced pull out myself except on a bait that is already pretty torn up, but we have heard comments here and elsewhere about swimbait weights pulling out.  

I have two questions. 

1.  Have you experienced insert weight pull out?  

( YES / NO )

2.  Which direction did it pull out?  

( On the line above the bait / On the line below the bait / Other (please explain) / NA )

I fish lighter/smaller swimbaits now.

Because I bury one hook of the treble in the bait belly before casting, with some line between the hook eye and where the line enters the bait, it seems to take the force of the cast, rather than the inline weight.  I've had many more baits with the belly torn up behind the weight than having weights themselves rip out.

When I used to fish heavier swimbaits, like Optimum and Osprey-type baits, with a washer as a stop for the treble so it didn't pull back up into the bait on the cast, the point in the belly where the line came out got torn up, too, but the inserts never pulled out.

• Like 1

Yeah Mark, the color you put on is the color it stays till you rip or melt the plastic off it. I've been using their Colure2 paints to paint the inserts and to finish paint baits. Once in a while if I'm taking one apart I'll see the paint come off with the plastic, and the lead has that white, dusty color to it, but the bait was still "all together", the insert wasn't loose in the plastic, that's why I do it, so when you're trying to get a snap onto the bait, the insert isn't wiggling around inside. They have clear too if you don't want a color.

• Like 2

I usually seal my lead inserts with epoxy and before it is completely dried I apply a little quantity of aquarium filter wool, in such way the lead is encapsuled twice from epoxy and plastic fibers. The plastic fibers, like a sort of short fur, add a good grip to the insert that not slip anymore.

Bye.

Cami

• Like 1

1.  Have you experienced insert weight pull out?  ( YES / NO )

No, i never have had one pull out, though have pulled them out myself..

pasty corroded worm weight...i assume it must be from the salt.

"Optimum and Osprey-type baits"

sry if a little off topic but...

Do you happen to have a source for the plastic tubes and caps used in their line through swimbaits?

I've been washing ink refills from pens and melting a flange on the ends but its a big hassle.

any help?