musky69

Weighting Gliders And Jerks

If sink flutter is intended to be a feature of a bait then it must be worked in very early on in the process. Rough carvings to experiment with shapes to find their required sink rates.

If this idea was to be a regular design feature then I would be looking at a specialized vertical test tank, something that you can video the fall and time the fall to get the rate. You will have to get your calculators out and do some Archimedes in order to be able to repeat the results consistently.

Weight distribution is only important to get the horizontal fall, it can be concentrated or distributed, makes no difference. It is all about shape and fall rate.

I would be constructing a 12"x6"x60" glass/plastic tank. Trial and error will get you to the first workable prototype, but from that you need to extract the density in order to achieve repeatability. As usual, all testing must be with hooks.

Dave

The tank does not need to be a huge deal. It could be 3 sides 1/2" ply, a rebate to take the plastic panel on the narrow face. Lots of wood protection and sealant for the clear plastic sheet. Once the box tube is built and sealed, the base plate can be bolted/screwed on with a liquid gasket. Fit a tap into the design for draining, but I would keep it full and in a dark place, this will prevent algae.

Note - weight of water 50Kg (110Lb).

If this all sounds over the top then by all means stick with the bucket in the bathroom with the taped weights. I am sure you will have some success.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

For those of you in the US, big box pet stores like Petco and Petsmart will have a sale a couple time a year where they offer aquariums at $1/gallon.  a 10 gallon tank would provide good viewing and adequate size for most operations, but if you were wanting to get a really good view of sink rate and sinking action a 29 gallon tank still isn't huge and offers quite a bit of height.  I've thought to put a water pump at one end of a fish tank to generate current that would allow me to see the action of a lure, but I haven't tried it yet.

For most of my lures I just use a clear plastic pretzel container that's maybe 6" across and 10" tall.  It is definitely too small for most muskie baits though.

5 hours ago, Big Epp said:

For those of you in the US, big box pet stores like Petco and Petsmart will have a sale a couple time a year where they offer aquariums at $1/gallon.  a 10 gallon tank would provide good viewing and adequate size for most operations, but if you were wanting to get a really good view of sink rate and sinking action a 29 gallon tank still isn't huge and offers quite a bit of height.  I've thought to put a water pump at one end of a fish tank to generate current that would allow me to see the action of a lure, but I haven't tried it yet.

For most of my lures I just use a clear plastic pretzel container that's maybe 6" across and 10" tall.  It is definitely too small for most muskie baits though.

I too have thought about the water pump idea, will it work though? I'm very interested to find out!

Andy.