Curt - NC

2015 Coolest Lure Contest Winners!

Just curious, how do we know that our submission of our info is in and we are getting our prizes? I mean anyone can lie to you that they are the winners? Anyways, I wrote in as a winner, but I don't never get a response. Or do you not reward third place? I don't remember exactly. Need to go review your prize pool but there's no way to. Just saying.

I think the safe play would be to use the same email you have registered on this site... Or PM, which will have your user name

Edited by JRammit

Sorry, I have found where you post your winning prizes. Anyways, I must also say that you guys need to judge some of the things here based on functionality or improvement based ideas or innovations....and not strictly on appeal, for appeal is only for the eyes. I know that you guys do judge on time consumption but you must not take into effect that an intricate rod wrap is better than say an innovative idea that seems to improve the overall performance of the rod or lure. I mean....it looks to me like you guys pay the appeal more than the functionality/performance. Just saying. I don't really care. Just a thought.

Any contest, game, sport or competition of any sort that comes down to judging will never please everyone

Think of a boxing match with hundreds of fighters in the ring coming down to a decision... All the fighters held their own for 12 rounds, yet someone had to be the winner

In this case, the lures are not racing or scoring points.. There is no finish line or final second on the clock... Only the eyes of judges who were chosen by their credentials in the tackle building arena....

I (as probably many of you) went through every entry trying to judge for myself, there is no way i coulda narrowed down to 3!... So i say great job by the judges!

• Like 1

I must agree w/ JRammit that there should be an honorable mention win even w/o the prizes b/c some of these lures that didn't win are off the hook and some are very practical. As for the sour grapes being on sale this month, I'm still waiting on my gift certificate or any communication thereof regarding such delicate matters. And all that matters is that I won. That was my intention. As for the comment that one should post for fun and not for gains, you wouldn't get to see my lures if you didn't post the winning prices. Trust me. Just saying. 

Edited by kaimon

I must agree w/ JRammit that there should be an honorable mention win even w/o the prizes b/c some of these lures that didn't win are off the hook and some are very practical. As for the sour grapes being on sale this month, I'm still waiting on my gift certificate or any communication thereof regarding such delicate matters. And all that matters is that I won. That was my intention. As for the comment that one should post for fun and not for gains, you wouldn't get to see my lures if you didn't post the winning prices. Trust me. Just saying. 

I had posted here previously to let everyone know that I had received all of the PM messages with everyone's info, even though I had not replied to each one individually.

Prizes will be issued this week. People need to understand and appreciate the fact that a lot of work, time and effort goes into this type of undertaking, so nothing happens instantaneously. Winners were chosen and prizes will be issued to those winners. The contest was free to participate in. Nobody paid an entry fee. So I'm not quite sure why there is such anxiety about not receiving the prizes immediately.

I do hope that some of the people who entered and won will spend more time here than just to enter their lures in the contest and then leave until next year's contest.

Some people could benefit from the added feedback from other lure makers. And the community as a whole can gain from others this way.

I could say more, but I think better of doing so, so I'll leave it at this.

• Like 3

As for the comment that one should post for fun and not for gains, you wouldn't get to see my lures if you didn't post the winning prices. Trust me. Just saying.

I think you are cheating yourself kaimon...

Here you have a large group of gents and gals alike who have the same passion as you.... They all know personally the amount of work, skill, sweat, blood, tears and pride put into doing what you do!

Im sure you show your projects off to friends and family outside of this site (i do), and im sure they all "ooh" and "ahh" (mine do)... But they havnt a clue what you actually put into it

To me, that's the best part of being here...!

• Like 1

I understand that this was a free contest. I thought is was wonderful but like I was saying, I'm in it for the prizes. I have plenty more lures to make and I don't have the money to do so. I shouldn't have to explain that I'm poor. I also understand that this is a sharing site. I love the work that people do here. This is perhaps the best site besides FB to see great works. I also don't like sharing my stuff. That's why I am in it for the money. I need to make a living if you can understand that. Please try to understand that I've invested too much time and money into this thing. You wouldn't understand the many trips I've taken to the flood ponds on my bike to just test my prototypes. I'm not here to engage in arguments. I never wanted to ask for my prize, I just thought if you heard me, let me know. I don't want to be in the dark. That wouldn't be cool. I leave you w/ this; Some people do it for the fame, some do it for the girls, some do it for the passion, some do it for the prizes, some do it for friends, and whatever the reason may be. I'm in it for the money like Wyatt Earp. If you disagree w/ what I have to say, please respect it. There's no need to call anyone sour grapes or wanting b/c I never posted up a contest w/ prizes. I participated in one. Like I've said, if there was no reward, I would not do it. Perhaps next year I would stay out of it. I mean I do have a lot more cool lures but I don't need to show no one. Who are they that I must show my lures? I don't think highly of myself but if they can answer that question then I might show them. I believe this random stranger has copied my idea of a drawing I did on FB....he brought the drawing into life. He never gave me the proper respect by saying it was mine. The damn thing didn't exist until I posted my drawing. Do you know how that feels? Who knows he may be selling it like hot cakes. I ain't gonna cry. I have more. I wouldn't know if my buddy didn't like his post. And I must add that I don't participate in contests where they don't never show the winners. I think those companies are fraudulent even if they're not. Just saying.

If I may add, that companies like StankXbait should not be allowed to enter b/c they have professional tools that the average person don't have. But, I guess there's no rules. And as I was saying up there, you have to judge on practicality or innovation more sometimes b/c I don't see how the antique lipless crank can win over the other ones. It just looks like a dried up painted lure. If I rank that, I would put that under the handpainted stuff. Just saying. I can see how the vibrating cicada would win. I think that should win  in it's category if not the whole b/c it's unlike anything I've seen. Perhaps the best Cicada. If you know your lures, you would know that DUO makes the best. I had that one beating it. Anyways, the point is that a LuckyCraft jerkbait will lose to Storm any day of the week if you judge on practicality. If you judge on appeal, then it's the other way around. That's my point. Just a thought. This is why we have these forums right? To me the top lure or the blue back herring shouldn't be rank that high b/c they took the idea from Live Koppers. Second, it had the profile of the Berkley lure. No one cares for that lure. If I was mistaken, then why do they sell that lure on Overstockbait Outlet? Just saying. Next time, you can have me as a judge since I'm thinking about not entering. 

Edited by kaimon

@ kaimon

You have mentioned to use a bicycle to head for your local ponds  , ....so I assume , that you are still too young to drive a car .

As a man "at his best age"  I'd strongly advise you to work on your attitudes not to have it too difficult in your future life , ...you're still young , it's never too late !

I mean , ....a strong self confidence is a good thing in general , ...but the way , you communicate it to others , makes the difference .

Greetz , Dieter

• Like 1

Wow.......this is getting a bit ridiculous now. 

kaimon.....we get your points......ALL of them.  The thing is in any contest, there will be winners and losers. I'm just not getting the overwhelming amount of negativity.  If it's all about the prizes,  I'm quite sure those prizes don't include a new bass boat.  LOL.   IMO those who won are true craftsmen who deserve it.  And NO......I had nothing to do with the judging.  It's time to get over it and move on, and if you feel it's best to not enter next year, so be it. 

For those who won, I think it goes without saying what an awesome job you all did.  Once again, Congratulations! 

• Like 2

I don't need to change my attitude. That's how I feel. I ain't a kid. If by the way I write, you think I'm a kid, you must be mentally challenged or w/ low IQ's. It does appear I know a thing or two about lures as you can clearly see. I don't give a flying you know what about who won and who lost or your bass boat. I done told you that I won so that's all that matters to me. I also gave your judges pointers. As a matter of fact, for next year, I will recreate Doni Her's winning lure but I'll make the painted minnows 3-D's just so I can win or prove to you that I can do better. Ain't that the point 'cause we ain't talking about my manhood. Aren't we? I have moved on. It's that you guys keep putting my name out there. If you put my name out there, do I not have a right to reply? Am I a robot? Like I said, why don't you make me a judge next time b/c I know a lot about lures. I really do. I ain't gonna lie or be humbled b/c I do. I don't need to be nice to anyone. This is how I talk in real life. Well, I'm worse in real life. LOL. We're all men here. Take it like a man homie. 

I don't need to change my attitude. That's how I feel. I ain't a kid. If by the way I write, you think I'm a kid, you must be mentally challenged or w/ low IQ's. It does appear I know a thing or two about lures as you can clearly see. I don't give a flying you know what about who won and who lost or your bass boat. I done told you that I won so that's all that matters to me. I also gave your judges pointers. As a matter of fact, for next year, I will recreate Doni Her's winning lure but I'll make the painted minnows 3-D's just so I can win or prove to you that I can do better. Ain't that the point 'cause we ain't talking about my manhood. Aren't we? I have moved on. It's that you guys keep putting my name out there. If you put my name out there, do I not have a right to reply? Am I a robot? Like I said, why don't you make me a judge next time b/c I know a lot about lures. I really do. I ain't gonna lie or be humbled b/c I do. I don't need to be nice to anyone. This is how I talk in real life. Well, I'm worse in real life. LOL. We're all men here. Take it like a man homie. 

@kaimon - enough is enough.

You've insulted just about everyone here, including those people who volunteered their time to judge the contest.

At this point, you've managed to stir the pot here and this is the end of the line for that type of stuff. Consider this a warning and the end of any further posts of that nature. Further antagonistic or abrasive posts will result in the permanent suspension/banning of your account. If that happens, you will no longer be able to use the site.

Not being able to access the site would also mean that you could not enter any future contests.

Trust me when I say that being banned permanently means permanently. You wouldn't even be able to sign up with a new username.

So my suggestion for you at this point would be to back off and settle down and refrain from further badmouthing, insulting, instigating, etc.

You have been warned.

• Like 4

Wow thanks Kaimon, I'd love to see that! I appreciate the reference and welcome the challenge. If you need any more ideas please let me know i'd be happy to send some pics. I do some really cool multi-layered craws. I've caught multiple 6lb+ smallmouths on them. Let me know. :)

• Like 2

As you can see I don't post very often but that doesn't mean I don't visit the TU to read and see baits.  I do to enjoy the creativity on display and appreciate the talent & artistry because I'm well aware of the efforts involved to produce a single bait.  I understand the premise of the contest and it's purpose and solute the TU.

To the purpose of my post:  I personally live for the challenge of creating that which doesn't exist in the known universe.  To make physical, to have ownership and to push the mind to aspire to achieve a result.  I know I'm not the only person who loves a challenge for similar reasons, I can see it in the photo gallery and I'm green with envy when looking at some of the paint jobs on the hard baits <<<painters have all the fun.  

For TU consideration:  Challenge us...ie give us a template..a pic of a bait fish for us to duplicate as we see it individually and divide into two categories hard bait/soft bait and see what happens.  The TU purpose will be served in that people will see what is possible and provide food for thought.

Humbly submitted, 

Edited by JBuff
  • Like 1

Thanks for the gift certificate. I truly needed it to build more lures. It's not like I don't have money, it's just that money is truly hard for me to get. If you don't wanna see what I've got to offer the world, that's cool by me. I already did DoniHerr's lure in 3D on wood. I've also done some spinnerbaits that one one has seen or done before. Donni seems like a nice guy. I might have to take him up on the offer. I'll ex-communicate myself from this point on though. I'll even do the that skunk w/ the creeper blades but better, just for the heck of things. And I didn't mean to insult anyone. See the good in what I'm saying. Will ya?

Thanks for the gift certificate. I truly needed it to build more lures. It's not like I don't have money, it's just that money is truly hard for me to get. If you don't wanna see what I've got to offer the world, that's cool by me. I already did DoniHerr's lure in 3D on wood. I've also done some spinnerbaits that one one has seen or done before. Donni seems like a nice guy. I might have to take him up on the offer. I'll ex-communicate myself from this point on though. I'll even do the that skunk w/ the creeper blades but better, just for the heck of things. And I didn't mean to insult anyone. See the good in what I'm saying. Will ya?

Yes, Doni seems to have a great attitude.. You are new to the site, but if you stick around you'll find every one else here has the same attitude as Doni

This thread was posted to announce and praise the contest winners.... So keeping on subject, great job kaimon!.... I dig the use of the sea shells for fins on the golby! Im one to appreciate out of the box thinking!.... How durable are the shells? They look awesome!

Edited by JRammit