vabassen02

Salt For Packing Question

Salt and oil mix will make a mess in the package as will salt and moisture.That said,most will probably mention Popcorn salt but in my experience,Bear's Baits Ultra fine salt is the finesest particle size available.

http://www.bearsbaits.com/Salt_p_149.html

Salt for packing does not need to be fine

Good point.  Mainly used to keep the baits separated, and an eye catcher.....but when I packaged in regular salt, I noticed mine just didn't look right. The large grain salt would sometimes hide the colors of the bait.  Once I discovered popcorn salt, problem solved.  Once again, if you're making them for yourself, any salt will do.  If selling to the public, I'd go with finer grains.  Just my :twocents:

you dont want a blender for grinding salt down.....but i know the bullet is just like it...just alot faster and smaller....been using this for two yrs now..a cup at a time maybe two cups but that's it...best salt around...look for a bullet at thrift store or garage sales..i have 3 of them   your salt will be like powder if you let it run to long.....but I found powdered salt works great in tubes.....

Maybe it is just me but just putting the salt in the bag is a waste of money and time. It isn't serving a purpose so why do it in the first place? It may "catch the eye" of an uneducated angler but as soon as the bait hits the water it is gone so it doesn't help the effectiveness of the bait. Me personally, I just feel like you could be using that time and money on other things. Just my $.02

Maybe it is just me but just putting the salt in the bag is a waste of money and time. It isn't serving a purpose so why do it in the first place? It may "catch the eye" of an uneducated angler but as soon as the bait hits the water it is gone so it doesn't help the effectiveness of the bait. Me personally, I just feel like you could be using that time and money on other things. Just my $.02

You are absolutely right, but it DOES keep the baits from sticking together.  Oil is your other option, but that took more time than salting......for me, anyway.