ING

Mold For In-Line Spinners Bodies?

Thank you for reply! It seems me a little bit tricky: if you extract pull pin when lead is liquid, hole will collapse.

If you wait more, pin pull could stuck in.

Did you have seen such mold? Could you give me a clue where I could buy it?

Thanks again

Edited by ING

Thank you for reply! It seems me a little bit tricky: if you extract pull pin when lead is liquid, hole will collapse.

If you wait more, pin pull could stuck in.

Did you have seen such mold? Could you give me a clue where I could buy it?

Thanks again

Ing,

There are two ways of making in line spinners for molding. The first old way was like the Erie Derie. Where you cast the wire into the mold, and then all your mechanics were in the back of the head. The newer way on some through body spinners is with a thru wire. If you are buying the Lure Body mold from Do-It, then it comes with three pull wire (pins). However these pins are kind of small. I like a handle on my wire pull pins, as it give me more leverage. You can make your own with the correct diameter stainless steel wire. I found stainless wire seems to pull easier through lead than steel wire.

Now as far as casting goes, this is what I do. Put the wire in,and as soon as you pour the lead, pull the pin. Reason being is that if you wait till it hardens, the steel pin is very hard to pull out of the head. Also you will find that doing one at a time is a lot easier than trying to do multiples. I have never had a cavity wire hole collapse on me when I immediately pulled the pin. Lead cools too fast and in this case that is good. As far as lead composition goes, to me harder lead works better here, as soft lead wants to stick to the pull pin. Also make sure you coat the cavity with a release agent and you can also spray the pull pin, however the spray on the pin doesn't last long from the friction of pulling it constantly through the lead.

Finally, remember to pull the pin with the head in the cavity it makes it a lot easier then taking out the head and then trying to pull the pin holding the head with your hands.

If you need more help let me know, I've done this many time with the lure body, slip jig lures, trolling lures and some river weights.....Good Luck

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1

Here are a couple tips to make things easier. First take some sandpaper and lightly sand the pin from front to back. These lengthwise striations reduce friction and make the pins easier to pull. Kind of like sanding the bottom of your boat.Second I took a hack saw and cut a 1/2 inch slot in the lip of an old ammo can. Then holding the end of the pin with my pliers I slip the pin into the slot with the body inside the can and pull. The pin comes out and the body fall into the can.

I don't pour them myself but I traded for a bunch of them and this is how they came

100_5987.jpg

I bend the wire into an L shape and trim any flash

100_5989.jpg

I powder paint them and then stick the wires through the side of an aluminum bread pan to cure them.  Haven't had any problems getting them off, when done I use .031 wire and make my spinners

100_4027.jpg