Vodkaman

Brush Cleaning

The question of brush cleaning after using epoxy or any other difficult compound comes up often and there are plenty of good answers scattered around the TU site. So I decided to post my method and invite others to post theirs. This will bring all the possible cleaning options under one thread.

My method

First, the problems that need to be overcome for long brush life;

1 – Inadequate cleaning will leave the bristles rigid next time you pick up the brush. You may or may not be able to rescue this with a good pounding.

2 – Build-up at the roots. Inadequate cleaning will cause build-up of resin, effectively shortening the bristles after each application, thus shortening the life of the brush.

Epoxy brushes are one of the few examples were paying less gets you a better product. Most experienced lure builders have come to realize that cheap brushes usually work better. But that doesn’t mean that you should treat the brush with contempt. With a good cleaning strategy, the brush can live long enough to wear out before being discarded and save money.

I use acetone for cleaning my brushes, but other cleaning solutions work just as well; alcohol, thinners etc.

I keep an ounce or two of the cleaning fluid in each of three class jars with screw lids. I have an old breakfast bowl kept for the purpose and a length of rough cut wood, the rougher the better. An old half brick or breeze block will do just as well.

After squeezing excess of epoxy with an old rag, kept for the job, I pour jar No1 into the bowl. Dab the brush and paint the rough cut wood. Repeat a few times. This is to tackle the roots and scrape the residue epoxy off the bristles. Pour the liquid back into the jar.

Repeat with jar No2 and then with Jar No3. Sponge dry, inspect for errant bristles and trim. Store the brush either flat or bristles up, to avoid a set.

After use, any solids will settle out in the jars and the fluids can be used many times, thus saving more money. When jar No1 gets too bad, the fluid can be safely discarded and replaced with clean fluid. This then becomes jar No3. This rotation of jars maximizes the use of your acetone and still guarantees the best brush clean and long brush life.

Yes, sounds overly complicated. But everything I do is complicated. Brush cleaning is a good habit. Find a method that works for you and stick to the habit of cleaning brushes straight away.

So, how do you do it?

Dave

I don't like using cheap brushes because I get tired of picking off bristles from my epoxied lures nor do I have the time to do so.  I use quality brushes and clean them after each use with acetone....A good quality brush will last me up to 6 months or more and I produce a lot of lures in that time.

JR - I hate shopping and a couple of bucks is a couple of days food. But seriously, 10c - 15c is a throw away price, about the same as I pay. I just feel that the brushes actually improve with use.

TheHammer - a professional painter will break in his new brush by wetting and painting a brick wall. This removes all the loose bristles. I do the same with the rough cut wood block. After the first application of epoxy, there are never any more problems with loose bristles.

Dave

I buy inexpensive nylon bristle artist brushes from an art supply store.  I clean them thoroughly with lacquer thinner after use - it takes 30 seconds max.  They last for several years and I never have to worry about shedding bristles, which is a frequent problem with natural hair bristle brushes.  The fine bristles on a nylon brush help to p-o-p and bubbles in epoxy as I brush it on.  There are many ways to get a good topcoat.  Some guys apply epoxy with their fingers!  What works is developing a technique and tool kit that works for you.

• Like 1

I happen to be a professional, lol, its what I do for a living....and cheaper brushes will still lose more individual bristles over the course of a job that a higher quality one will...that's all I'm saying, but I totally agree with your initial process of removing lose bristles from any new brush.  I just prefer to work with higher quality brushes for the feel, and the durability.

• Like 1