cajunlures

Injection Machine For Sale?

I am looking for an injection machine to produce more lures. I currently use hand injection and mixing pots. I'm aware of Jacobs Baits machines, but I'm looking for something in between what Bear used to sell and a simple Zorn-type machine. I am looking to shoot laminates or two color mixes with it as well. Can anyone lead me in a direction of where to find one for a moderate price tag? Thanks

isn't anything available that I am aware of. There really is no readily available small machine that I have seen (been looking for a year or so). I have spoken with Ray at Zorn several times and when I mention a smaller machine all he will suggest is their pie mold machine (still $25k plus the molds) which can be extremely difficult to laminate with as they have to shoot one colour through the other to laminate. 

Zorn's vertical machines aren't really all that simple ($40K - $60K, plus $4K - $10K per mold) 

how much plastisol would been needed for your set up..? two gals. per color? or more?    im working on putting something together right now...

I'd say between 64oz to a gallon of one color. My demand hasn't needed more than that amount in a round of making. However my demand is growing and not sure if I can keep up with my current set up. I'm limited in time being that I have a day job. So a machine when I can produce more lures in lesser time would be Ideal for me. Hand injection keeps me in the shop for too long in an evening.

I'd say between 64oz to a gallon of one color. My demand hasn't needed more than that amount in a round of making. However my demand is growing and not sure if I can keep up with my current set up. I'm limited in time being that I have a day job. So a machine when I can produce more lures in lesser time would be Ideal for me. Hand injection keeps me in the shop for too long in an evening.

With these volumes a machine isn't what you are after. Ultra Molds has a shooting star setup featuring 2 pots that can safely hold 2 gallons each hot. With this setup and enough cavities you can shoot upwards of 15 gallons a day easily. 

• Like 1

the company i work for supplies plastic components to get your plastic to the mold..we have heat bands to 24 in dia. we don't work with plastisol but our stuff heats barrels and screws well over what is needed to get the job done....we do a lot or rebuild stuff and always throw the used stuff out ...working or not...we have digital heat sensors and temp probes of all sizes..its unreal....I just need to get the pots going..got the rest for them..im going to run heated pipe to a blending block and have a foot controlled shut off .so you can inject on and off with it....

• Like 2

I make baits, as I can, for charity fund raising. Word of mouth among a group of tournament guys has slowly but steadily increased demand.

I started with the Twinjector and even though (due to a lot of help from you guys) I got pretty adept, but it was too time consuming.

Then I bought a Shooting Star system. It worked well but required too much material volume for colors I didn't need a lot of.

I got the Jacobs (used) and it is the "Goldilocks" machine. I can put a small amount in or fill both sides and keep refilling. The molds usually need to cool after shooting a full batch using both sides.

Due to the pneumatic pressurization, The best part is ease of switching colors. I just blow out the existing material and dump in the new color. Obviously, going from dark to white requires more of a flush, but not a lot more. When I'm done for the day, there is no real clean-up. Just turn up the air pressure and blow it out.

Height adjustment is not good, as it depends on thumb screw to anchor. The screw is hot and is overmatched for the weight it has to anchor. I have also had to add a shield between me and the injector nozzle as it can squirt hot plastic if the mold isn't mated well to the nozzle when I pull the lever. Learned the hard way.

Perhaps the ideal system for you would be a pressurized shooting star with smaller reservoir.

I make baits, as I can, for charity fund raising. Word of mouth among a group of tournament guys has slowly but steadily increased demand.

I started with the Twinjector and even though (due to a lot of help from you guys) I got pretty adept, but it was too time consuming.

Then I bought a Shooting Star system. It worked well but required too much material volume for colors I didn't need a lot of.

I got the Jacobs (used) and it is the "Goldilocks" machine. I can put a small amount in or fill both sides and keep refilling. The molds usually need to cool after shooting a full batch using both sides.

Due to the pneumatic pressurization, The best part is ease of switching colors. I just blow out the existing material and dump in the new color. Obviously, going from dark to white requires more of a flush, but not a lot more. When I'm done for the day, there is no real clean-up. Just turn up the air pressure and blow it out.

Height adjustment is not good, as it depends on thumb screw to anchor. The screw is hot and is overmatched for the weight it has to anchor. I have also had to add a shield between me and the injector nozzle as it can squirt hot plastic if the mold isn't mated well to the nozzle when I pull the lever. Learned the hard way.

Perhaps the ideal system for you would be a pressurized shooting star with smaller reservoir.

I would love a pressurized version of the SS (full size), it would require heated lines and some sort of "gun" to inject most likely. On a side note, they did make a smaller version for the guys that feel twin 2.5 gallon pots is too much. 

With these volumes a machine isn't what you are after. Ultra Molds has a shooting star setup featuring 2 pots that can safely hold 2 gallons each hot. With this setup and enough cavities you can shoot upwards of 15 gallons a day easily. 

Have you used this system and never done 15 gallons a day "easy"? Ive used this for a year and have never been able to get 15 gallons a day not even close actually. 

Ive noticed that after 24 cups in a pot it will not stir evenly even though technically the capacity is 2.5 gallons. For me once up to temp you'll notice the plastic is too high above the stirrer and the top of the pot doesn't mix with the bottom. maybe thats just me though. the pot just doesn't keep it mixed thoroughly after that. Dont get me wrong, 24 cups and under it works great but i can't do more per pot at once or it doesn't get evenly mixed.

if you've had better success could you please share I would love to know how to optimize this more than i currently am 

Have you used this system and never done 15 gallons a day "easy"? Ive used this for a year and have never been able to get 15 gallons a day not even close actually. 

Ive noticed that after 24 cups in a pot it will not stir evenly even though technically the capacity is 2.5 gallons. For me once up to temp you'll notice the plastic is too high above the stirrer and the top of the pot doesn't mix with the bottom. maybe thats just me though. the pot just doesn't keep it mixed thoroughly after that. Dont get me wrong, 24 cups and under it works great but i can't do more per pot at once or it doesn't get evenly mixed.

if you've had better success could you please share I would love to know how to optimize this more than i currently am 

It's all going to depend on the baits you're shooting and the number of cavities. I routinely load 2 gallons per pot. I will note I am not using their 20rpm motor on my mixers, instead I am using 36rpm motors which does help keeping the plastic moving, you can see it churning (they also sell an additional add on paddle that mounts up higher on the shaft to help keep the whole pot mixed, I have them but don't use them). I have twin pot setups to cut down on time when changing colours, instead of waiting for the pots to cool enough to clean them out I just swap the entire setup out for one that is ready to go with very little down time. Depending on the particular baits I am shooting I can empty upwards of 2 gallons of plastic in roughly 1-1.25 hrs. I have shot 15 gallons through the pots in the past, an average day is 6-10 gallons. 

What most of us Hobby guys need is a machine that will heat 32 oz or less per side or color. Most of the companies make make their machine for the guys that shoot gallons at a time. I rarely shoot over 2 cups at a time.  2 cups makes about 200 baby shad or more. I don't need 20,000 of one color at a time. If someone would come up with a machine for around 500.00 to 700.00 and small enough for us hobby guys i think they would sell a lot of them. But when u   are talking 1500.00 to 20,000.00 i am out. To start with i don't want to spend 125.00 on one color of bait for my self and friends. And i know we can do it like we have been doing it, but we hobby guys like simple and quick also. LOL Ps  Just dreaming i guess Cub48!!

I built a couple injections machine for soft plastics. 2.5 gallons each. Heat control down to the  dagree, agitator, air pressure for controlled flow. Need air compressor.  For Hight production 6+ hours a day I would suggest an air pump  not a compressor  with a tank.  CONS: They bleed air at a constant rate. It's a little wasteful with air but it does a great job for a DIY injection machine.  

No lams but I use a blank plate then inject second color. I probably could make a nozzle but it would never be perfect without using a blank plate.

I have no idea what I would sell them for but if anybody's interested I can figure out the cost and then a sale price.

Jay 

• Like 1

I know this is an old topic but since i posted in 2015 i bought the mini shooting star. I have been very well pleased with it. I can shoot a pint in each pot which is about the amount i like to shoot at a time. I heat my plastic in the microwave and pour it in. It will heat your plastic but i prefer to Microwave. I shoot at about 296 F and i get great two color baits. You can just use one pot for one color. I have bought some extra accessories that i like very much, the injector heater is great. I bought an extra injector just in case i am in the middle of a shoot and the injector starts to mess up i can just switch. this has not happen. But when i started i was getting air in some of my baits i found out the problem it was i was pulling the plastic too fast. I still think if someone would come up with a system with 32 oz pots at a good price it would sell.  Cub48

• Like 1

On 10/20/2015 at 2:41 PM, Painter1 said:

I have a Jacobs and it works great for 2 colors. I don't use it much because I can make many hundreds of baits in an afternoon.

It's a pity that the port ( Nozzle) orientation cannot be changed. With the two posts and the nozzle being off set to the two chambers , it will not allow enough space for shooting laminates with certain molds. Jacobs do produce great consumer based machines.

emailed Rick to see if the pro machine can be custom built to accommodate the correct orientation for my molds. 

unfortunately not  :-(

I have a shooting star and cannot use it to shoot the Jacobs molds. Emailed rick to get the sprue measurements so I could order custom sprue extenders and make it work for the molds of his I already have as well and instead of just giving me the measurements he asked why and when I told him he said “good luck with your overpriced hand injector.” Never I have encountered anyone who does such poor business and it is of no surprise that his company is not bigger than it is despite that he makes quality products or that he has no social media platforms for reviews. Had I known then what I know now I would’ve never invested so much money with him. 

No not at all. We’re loving the shooting star. Just wanted to figure out how to use it with the Jacobs molds without drilling on the sprue ports. The shooting star has been awesome!! Laminates perfect and even solved some issues we were having with flaring on a couple of molds. They got it shipped faster than anticipated and customer service from ultra molds is great. They checked in to keep me updated along the way and it’s very easy to use. They’re definitely the way to go