Skimpy

Wire Keeper On Jig Molds

Might be a dumb question, but does anybody use wire keepers with there jigs? Most molds don't accept the wire keepers. So I guess my real question is has anybody modified their molds to accept wire keepers ? I want to try to use them with my poison tail, weedless football and brush jig. Thanks !

I have modified my weedless banana jig mold to accept wire keepers. It has a ball collar so the wire keeper helps hold the trailer on. For jigs like the poison tail that have a lead holder or other jigs that have a lead barb, I wouldn't bother because they hold soft plastic really well. BTW the wire keeper mod is probably the easiest mod to do, just take a needle file and make 5 or 6 strokes along the bottom of the lead collar to widen the hook slot, but only on the side you want the keeper, then lay a hook in the mold and put the keeper in the slot next to the hook and close. Once you are there, take two small blocks of wood and position one on each side of the mold and put the mold with the blocks in a bench vise and turn until the mold closes, wait a few seconds and then take it out and your mold should now have a spot to add a wire keeper.