Mesabooger

Do you folks ever retire lures?

I was curious to see how many of you have lures that you've caught so many fish on that you're just afraid to use anymore? I have 3 different ones myself that I couldnt forgive myself if I ever lost them. They are: Model 7A Fire Tiger Bomber, Devils Horse In Tennessee Shad, and a 5in. Rapala wobbler minnow that I borrowed from my dad about 15yrs ago. I have unofficially retired these veterans. I'd like to hear if guys have some like that.

I had a gold colored shad rap that I had for years cought at least 300 fish on it, then I stopped using shad raps because I could'nt cast them well on casting tackle. I decided to use it one day and lost it first cast :( I have cought tons of fish on XPS high back shiners but its windy down here in the delta and I usally end up crushing them one or two trips because there light and get blown into the rocks.

I retired all my Jim Pfeffer lures. I mounted them in shadow boxes and I display them in my office.

That is how I got back into lure making. I really missed fising with those lures so I started making reproductions of Pfeffers and other vintage lures I just can't bear to see lost or damaged.

BTW, I started making reporoductions as a teenager because my dad would not let me fish with his prize lures (that was a good decision on his part :wink: ). Even in the 70's he would only pull his Jim Pfeffers out for special ocassions.

Yep, I have some tadpollies that have caught so many steelhead for me the paint is entirely removed on the back half the lure. I hang them in my garage where they can rest. These baits are not worth anything really but I would just hate to lose them.

I also had a kwikfish that was magic on chinook and was nearing retirement. On an average day it would get 3 of the 5 bites in the boat. The last trip I took it on it was the only bait that was bit two days in a row! Anyway, right at dark after hooking the only two fish of the day, my rod dipped hard a third time, a monster chinook was on. The fish peeled out 50# braid in the heavy current and by the time we got the boat loose from the anchor it broke off my 40# pound leader, I almost cried...my lure was gone. I have tried several others that look identical to it and none of them have done a thing for me. :(

Jed

I have retired all of my grandfathers baits. I have an original Rapala minnow that is unlike all of the Rapala minnows that I have seen to date. It is thinner than others and was made in Finland. I have also retired 2 of the first 3 baits I ever made. I lost the first one. The third one caught one of the largest stringers that I have ever caught on High Rock. The paint job is a hoot. But that was one fish catching plug. I think I'll take a picture of it this weekend and post it on the site.

Skeeter