cm10lber

Help With Painting Scheme

I have attached a photo of and example of 2 patterns Im trying to duplicate. Can any of you experienced painters give me advice with this. On the 1.5 Im not referring to the vertical lines, Im referring to the detail on the gill plates, the back of the plug,the green area on the belly.

On the craw pattern Im interested in how the almost swirl/marble pattern on the back. I can do the actual craw pattern. I made stencils for that. 

The biggest problem I have with this hobby so far is trying to get the fine details. I have spent hrs trying to figure it out and cannot come up with that process.

Thanks for any help you can provide..

little john green chartreuse.jpg

1.5 halloween darter Billy Henson.jpg

post-47630-0-07130800-1445904999_thumb.jpg

post-47630-0-66609700-1445905023_thumb.jpg

The 'swirls' on the craw pattern appear to me to be made with netting held on the lure, sprayed, then re-positioned to make the pattern more irregular.  I think the details on the gills of the other lure were freehanded.  You need to use low pressure (10psi or less), thinned out paint, and remove the spray cone from the front of the brush so you can hold the tip close to the lure surface to do that.  It takes finesse and good trigger control, so may take some time to master. 

• Like 2

The green craw is done with netting, I've seen several painters use the same stuff. As far as the other goes I believe it is a foiled image lure with some freehand added to it. If you look at the upper shoulder on the lure it looks like a seam from the foil but I can't say for sure. Either way they look nice.

Edited by joetheplumber