Help With Twinjector

Yes, I shoot both colors through a twin injector. Do you need to heatt the finished bait, some how to make them not to come apart. This only happens on some baits, but does happen quit often. They don't just fall apart, but can be pulled apart , pretty easy.

I have never heard of this could you maybe start a new post and post up a picture? Don't want to dilute this one. I shoot a lot of baits through the twinjector and the seam or line between colors is a little mixed so I know there is no chance of what you are talking about.

• Like 2

Finally someone who understands you have to be stirring the plastic to take the temp with an ir temp gun. Even a digital candy thermometer need some stirring to be right. I have both and they are pretty much the same when all things are equal. Heat up plastic long Enough and you will find that temps in plastic vary so much it is unreal at times. some times I want the temp so low I have to break though a skin of cooled plastic to suck up the colors. But this gives me the most definite line in a laminate. When I reheat the colors mix a bit.

I thought that was common sense! I give mine a very good stir when I feel temps are close before I measure with the IR gun.

I thought that was common sense! I give mine a very good stir when I feel temps are close before I measure with the IR gun.

Well for the guys that say it's no accurate and only a digital temp gauge is ,I guess it's not common sence.

Both are a good way to take the temp of the plastic.

I inject dual colors everyday and I never have any issues with colors blending. I'm also not grasping shooting your plastic below 340. I always shoot at 350 and I never have any problems with colors separating etc. I shoot up to 4-5 molds at one time.

Keeping plastic at that temp for any length of time will make it turn yellow much faster. Shooting at 310 will set faster and keep the molds from over heating so fast. If I shoot some of my swim bait molds at that temp the plastic sprays out the gate and makes a mess out of the two colors. How do you get the temp of your plastic? I have a probe in both mine at all times when I shoot a lot. Which I do quite often.
  • Like 1

I just wanted to let you guys know I shot some baits last night and they turned out a whole lot better. For it to work for me, I had to have both colors right at 300. I also took time to warm up everything in my oven really good. I just wish there was a set of smaller injectors available for those of us who shoot small baits. Once again, thank you all for the input. You guys sure know what you're talking about. One last question I have is where is a good place to get custom molds made? I want to get some cnc molds done for a project I've been thinking about. I googled a few places, but the only one I got word back from quoted me well over $600 for a 12 cavity 2 1/2" mold.

They are a 2oz injector at Lurecraft, I have 2 that i fixed to shoot twin color. They don't have the jig to set it up for twin. But if u are handy u can fix a jig. I have a drill press and took a 2x2 wood block drill  1" holes marked it with my blending block. Then i sawed it in half after drilling a 5/16 hole in the center. Put a 1/4" bolt in the center to tighten the 2 injectors up, make sure your drill press is square mine had to be adjusted. Then drill a hole in a 3/4" by 1/6" or 1/8" bar  the hole size of the injector rods where the knobs thread on, then screw the knobs back on. It took me a couple tries with the wood block but after i figured out my drill press was the problem the last one looked good have not tried it yet but used it with the first try

it worked but was a little tight pulling the rods up. Only thing i don't like is the tips are screw off type and it takes a little longer to clean. But if u are using it single u can keep it hot and push out all the plastic and don't have to take it apart. Cub48 

I inject dual colors everyday and I never have any issues with colors blending. I'm also not grasping shooting your plastic below 340. I always shoot at 350 and I never have any problems with colors separating etc. I shoot up to 4-5 molds at one time.

Shot these today with a twin injector and it seems the colors mixed a bit. This is Do Its Wutz It 5". I tried a lot of different things to get more separation of my colors but ran out of ideas and plastic at the same time. One side was a little better than the other but as you progress down toward the tail things get worse. I dunno? Any ideas on what may be the issue?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-29484-0-47006000-1447732867_thumb.jpg

Apdriver - every feature affects the flow. If the feature affects both colors, then both flows are identical.

The start of the injection determines how the rest of the pour goes. The belly changes the direction and slows down the belly color,. this also pulls the top color down. While the lower color was being held up by the belly, the top color followed and painted the surface, so it appears that the colors have mixed.

If you cut sections, I am sure that you would see that the colors have not mixed, but the belly color has become a central core.

This actually gives me an idea for an injection block, purely for injecting core shots.

Dave

Shot these today with a twin injector and it seems the colors mixed a bit. This is Do Its Wutz It 5". I tried a lot of different things to get more separation of my colors but ran out of ideas and plastic at the same time. One side was a little better than the other but as you progress down toward the tail things get worse. I dunno? Any ideas on what may be the issue?

Fish the heck out of them because they look awesome!

• Like 1

they do look good. some molds shoot better laminates also. i do no my wutz it has a smaller sprue and laminates don't turn out as well as i like either. maybe try the ol tin foil laminate plate? lay tin foil on mold,close shoot 1 color then take it out an shoot other color hot so it attaches good.just make sure both plastics are really close to same temps an shoot away. someimes i get the darker color over powering the lighter color

Edited by archery1

If they have a hook slot ,that is the problem.

• Like 1

I am sure that there's an educated reason for this but the simple answer for me is that the dark colors to hot. Lower the temp of that one color and shoot again. Keep it simple and it will all make sence. To lower the temp of the hot one quick I will put a little raw plastic in. This lowers the temp fast and keeps you going. When you see a color that wraps aorund like that this is usually the fast fix.

• Like 2

Interesting, Frank. I'll certainly give that a go next time I lam this bait. These baits were shot anywhere from 290 to 320 just to see if different temps would make a difference but both colors were adjusted the same as I always keep them together. I'm running stirrers and PID controllers, so not much heat differential. So how much differential are you talking about? 20, 30, 40 degrees?

Interesting, Frank. I'll certainly give that a go next time I lam this bait. These baits were shot anywhere from 290 to 320 just to see if different temps would make a difference but both colors were adjusted the same as I always keep them together. I'm running stirrers and PID controllers, so not much heat differential. So how much differential are you talking about? 20, 30, 40 degrees?

With a dark and lighter colour like that you may find that one colour (darker) may need to be cooler than the other in order to achieve the same viscosity. 

I definitely agree with the statement[ you may need to adjust]. When you see a color wrapping around another it is to hot. Just cool it down maybe five degrees and shoot again. Controlling temp is defiantly a challenge but each person has a different way and no mater what number you shoot you will learn to tell when one is cooloer than the other or viscosity is different. I guess I just shoot it so much it is easy for me to see what is going on.

• Like 2

I definitely agree with the statement[ you may need to adjust]. When you see a color wrapping around another it is to hot. Just cool it down maybe five degrees and shoot again. Controlling temp is defiantly a challenge but each person has a different way and no mater what number you shoot you will learn to tell when one is cooloer than the other or viscosity is different. I guess I just shoot it so much it is easy for me to see what is going on.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the replies and information. I don't laminate all that much but hopefully this will help when I do. Probably need to check my temps with a secondary thermometer as opposed to blindly trusting the PID controllers, also.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the replies and information. I don't laminate all that much but hopefully this will help when I do. Probably need to check my temps with a secondary thermometer as opposed to blindly trusting the PID controllers, also.

I would say yes to that for sure. Never hurts to make sure. For my presto pots I use a digital temp gauge near the injector nozzle.

• Like 1