joelhains

Fly Vice Recommendation?

I'm looking to get a fly vice and hopefully be able to pick up a descent one for my price range. Years ago when I was in high school I got into lure making and I had a cheap $20 vice but I mostly just used my hands because it wouldn't hold hooks well. Since then I've moved away from fly fishing and Ive been making soft plastic baits, spinnerbaits weedless bass jigs etc...

Now I want to get back into fly tying and I will also use it for tying lead jigs for bass and walleye using up to 5/0 heavy hooks. Any suggestions for a good quality vice for around $100-$150... also what are some features I should be looking for?

thanks

A couple of years ago I purchased a Peak vise based on a head to head review.  The Peak vise has been a solid performer with no problems and has been used a lot with no problems.

This link is a couple of years old and since that time the Peak Vise retail price has inflated slightly past the $150 mark.  Shop around, you can still find them at times sub $150.

Here is a link to that vise review:

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/Fly_Tying_Vise_Shoot-Out.htm

Edited by JimP

I bought a Griffen Montana Mongoose which is a rotary vise,and for what you want it for, I reccomend it. It was reccomended to me by Smalljaw and he has had great service from his Griffen as well. These will hold a large bass hook like you're wanting to. I have put up to a 5/0 in mine, no problems. The rotary is nice because you can turn it over to inspect and adjust your material as you build or just to add material to the bottom of the jig. Prices are all over the place but there's a guy on eBay selling new ones very competively priced with free shipping.

Hey Joel, a new vise...good for you. The above comments are right-on. I tie on big hooks most of the time; deerhair, poppers, pike flies. These often take quite a bit of thread pressure and strong jaws on the vise. I use Dyna-king, Regal, and Renzetti...in that order. I also use a clamp mount the vast majority of the time. If I had to start over on a budget, I'd strongly consider a used vise as described. And I would take a longer look at the Peak...alotta guys like them, and they seem to hold up well. Good luck and cheers, Ed

I'd go with the Griffin, I've had mine for quite some time and what a wonderful tool.  There are a few reasons I recommend the Griffin that Apdriver mentioned, the first is that it is a good quality vise that you can get new in your price range and they have lifetime warranties so you know they are made well. Another reason is you want to tie flies and larger bass size jigs, the Griffin will do that without having to spend any more money, the Renzetti, Peak, Regal and most of the high end models require you to buy an extra set of jaws for larger hooks, the griffin doesn't need extra jaws and it holds extremely well and is a true rotary vise and made in the U.S. and is a very well made product.

• Like 2

If looking right now, I would get another Anvil vise. Used from #10-7/0 hooks on it. 

There is mention of rotary vise. You can have a Rotating vise, or a true rotary. A "true" rotary will rotate the hook and keep it level while turning, rotating will not.

I have a Peak right now that is a true rotary and spent extra money on it, when just a rotating vise would have been all I needed. Not sure which you would want, but if you don't need that true rotary, you can save a few bucks by just getting the rotating one.

I have to make a minor correction to my last post...

I said I was getting the Griffin as a gift for the holdays, and I did. By it wasn't the Montana Mongoose I'd requested Santa bring me. I received the Odysee Spider instead. I hate to admit I was slightly disappointed when I saw the box but after using it nearly every day for the last week and a half I love it! It is everything I could want out of a vice. It holds nearly any size hook firmly. I had hooks from size 12 to 7/0 trebles and have had no problem at all with it. Right now I just can't see any way to justify spending more on a "higher end" vice.

Edited by joelhains