RAWJigs

Lee 20 Pound Pot ...

I bought a 20 pound pot about 3 years ago. LOVED IT, had its fair share of leaking but I could turn the plunger and stopped for a few jigs. The heating element went out about 2 weeks ago, so I bought another 20 pound pot. Instead of the screw and plunger setup, it has that all in one crappy plunger. I DO NOT LIKE IT! But I had to make due until I got my other pot fixed and figured the new one would be a "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY". The new pot, I couldn't get complete pours with hardly anything over 1/2 ounce. Now I have everything fixed and I can't get my older one to pour anything over half ounce consistently. I have clean lead. Same lead I have used for the last 5 years and had no problems until this new pot and this new heating element. I am just trying to make due until I get the money up for one of the fancier ones. RCBS or whatever they are. Has Lee changed something in the heating elements? I have tried everything I know and did in the past and nothing is working ... Jigs and a mold went flying already lol

RAW,

I had a similar problem. I had an old pot that worked flawlessly for 12 years. Element went out, and they replaced it. tries the new one, and it is nowhere near as hot as the old one. You need to take the proper thermometer and test the lead at different settings. You can call Lee and see what the different heat temps are supposed to be at different numbers on your dial, if you want to go through all that work. I would call Lee back and tell them that your pot still doesn't work properly, or you can turn the pot on high and pour that way. Just a thought. I too heard that they had problems at one time with their elements. It could also be the thermostat that controls the heat.

Edited by cadman

Yeah I have a 10# pot , which is only like two years old. I sent out to lee under warranty. They rebuild it for free. They had changed some of the parts. First thing was I don't know if it's the element or the thermostat, but it heats a lot hotter then the older ones. I set mine around 5 and it works better.