cajunlures

Recycled Plastic?

Anyone here have a connection with a recycling company that will recycle the plastic? I am currently looking for a company that would possibly buy my excess plastic for recycling to make other products and materials. Not looking to get rich off of my waste plastic, but selling for a few bucks would make me feel better than throwing it in the trash. I've researched and companies like Zoom and other soft plastic lure manufacturers send their plastic overseas to be recycled and re-used to create soles and tennis shoes parts. 

The dollar value of plastic is high enough to provide a livable income for Indonesian people, making it worth while trolling the streets of the city to collect plastic bottles. The same goes for glass bottles and drinks cans. If the Kg numbers are high enough, I am sure you will find a local company that will pay.

Dave

WHAT COLORS and how many pounds you got how much a pound...im in that market to make my plastics cheaper....i just make for myself and a few buddys......black purple watermelon are favs for me  

I have many colors. Mainly bass fishing colors such as watermelon red, watermelon candy, black n blue, junebug, etc. As well as "shad/swimbait" type colors. I can send you some pictures of my colors. Right now I have gallon ziploc bags full of excess plastic in just about each color, as well as extra on my shelves. I typically will re-use the plastic in my heating pots. But now I am moving on to injection and as my production demand keeps growing I find myself not re-using the plastic to keep a more pure color in the lures. But for a hobbyist or someone just looking to re-melt existing colors for new baits, I definitely have plenty of plastic. I'm not looking to get rich, but would rather just make a few bucks off of scrap plastic instead of throwing in the trash.

I'm with Montess, I can't see how you could make any money without, remelting your sprues. It is hard enough to come out making any profit, reusing everything you can. Maybe if you buy your plastic by the 55 gallon drum, but 5 galon at a time, it would be hard for me to do it.

It definitaly would make a better looking bait, if you don't have to remelt it soo many times.

I'm with Montess, I can't see how you could make any money without, remelting your sprues. It is hard enough to come out making any profit, reusing everything you can. Maybe if you buy your plastic by the 55 gallon drum, but 5 galon at a time, it would be hard for me to do it.

It definitaly would make a better looking bait, if you don't have to remelt it soo many times.

Exactly, if you're looking to make money then quit buying 5 gallon pails. If there was no money in this you wouldn't see companies like Zoom, Berkley, Strikeking etc. 

• Like 1

Many molds use more plastic in the sprue than the baits themselves. To be competitive, there is so little margin to begin with after expenses and time.

I have said it to you before, a few times actually, keep thinking like that and those of us that are doing this as a source of income will continue to do so ;)

• Like 1

Yes I have to agree the statement about the molds, sometimes they are to big. I know of two company's that will make them smaller but most others just do what they do. One good example is the four cavity 702 craw mold. It has much more sprue than a two cavity. That's the reason I sold mine and bought the two cavity ones. You guys think you can't make money cause you don't want to change anything. Buying a machine does not do it but just plane hard work will. Like Dave says keep thinking like that!! I say that but have to turn a lot of people down because I am just to busy so there is room for many many more guys that want to WORK for it and not sit back and say there's no way.

I have a bunch of spruces too but mostly throw them away. My customers pay for them anyways so it is not a big deal to me.

• Like 1

Money is not a problem. My margins and my business work, I have plenty of room to make money. I do re-melt as I go in my pots, however at the end of the batch I'm still left with extra in the pot and a bit from injectors, over this past year, that end plastic has accumulated so I'm looking to get it to someone else who likes to re-melt. With injection, I now design my molds to have smaller sprues. This minimizes that sprue waste. I do order 5 gallons of plastic at a time, and I make money out of it. Enough to advance my equipment as well as progress my business within a year's time. Going into next year after seeing how much I've used I will be ordering a drum at the beginning of the year.

• Like 2

I have said it to you before, a few times actually, keep thinking like that and those of us that are doing this as a source of income will continue to do so ;)

I have a lot of respect for you guys that do this as income. I enjoy it,as a hobby and catching fish on the things I produce. It's a lot of time consumption, not that it's hard work. Certainly enjoyable for me. I'll be keeping my day job though.

• Like 2

Yes I have to agree the statement about the molds, sometimes they are to big. I know of two company's that will make them smaller but most others just do what they do. One good example is the four cavity 702 craw mold. It has much more sprue than a two cavity. That's the reason I sold mine and bought the two cavity ones. You guys think you can't make money cause you don't want to change anything. Buying a machine does not do it but just plane hard work will. Like Dave says keep thinking like that!! I say that but have to turn a lot of people down because I am just to busy so there is room for many many more guys that want to WORK for it and not sit back and say there's no way.

I have a bunch of spruces too but mostly throw them away. My customers pay for them anyways so it is not a big deal to me.

I agree with your statement. I factor my cost of plastic I'm using in a batch for my pricing, so in a sense the customer is paying for it. I also didn't get my business where it is in the time frame without spending late nights in my shop after my full time day job. My goal is for it to be my day job, but that's my driving factor for now.

• Like 1