ctenn

Quiet Compressors?

Recently started learning the art of airbrushing crankbaits. I have an Iwata Eclipse ab and a Menards 3 gallon compressor. Problem is , the compressor is so noisy it keeps the dead awake. Can I, get some recommendations from you all about what you use as a resonably priced, quiet airbursh compressors? Thanks in advance.

Carl

Recently started learning the art of airbrushing crankbaits. I have an Iwata Eclipse ab and a Menards 3 gallon compressor. Problem is , the compressor is so noisy it keeps the dead awake. Can I, get some recommendations from you all about what you use as a resonably priced, quiet airbursh compressors? Thanks in advance.

Carl

I have a pancake compressor myself but didnt want to use it in my basement because of the noise so I went searching. I ended up buying a small airbrush compressor at Harbor Freight for like $60.00. I was a little aprehensive because Im not a fan of buying electric tools from them. I have in the past and they werent that great. However, I absolutely love this little compressor. Its small, compact and quiet compared to my larger one. I have had it 6 weeks and use it almost every night. No problems. You can get coupons for 20% off. I didnt want to wait til the flyer came in the mail so I just bought it at the regular price.  Good Luck but thats what I would recommend

• Like 1

I would get a dedicated airbrush compressor if quiet is the real key.  Reasonably priced?    All dependent on the person.  I would have no issue with 500 or more if I painted cranks every night.  I have a small airbrush compressor (Fusion 1000) I bought at Hobby Lobby clearance for around 25 bucks several years ago.  It specs out a little higher than the ones I see now listed.  It pushes 45 psi max (for an initial burst but drops to 35-37 psi in use).  I would prefer a little more at times but it does the trick and the price is right and it is quiet. You can carry on a conversation while painting.

I would likely get a "name brand" air brush compressor and if really want to push the noise level construct a box to place it in (similar design to the boxes many make for small compressors or shop vacs used by hobbyist woodworkers).  Compressed air is always an options also as renting a tank/regulator isn't all that expensive.

I have a small airbrush compressor similar to the one Travis describes. Also got it at Hobby Lobby...they offer coupons for 40% off, so it was a good deal. The performance is similar to what Travis describes too. This has been fine. I do mainly small and relatively detailed work, so there's no need for higher pressures. Having said all this, when this device gives up the ghost, I'll go with a fancier compressor...that may be awhile. I like this little compressor. It is quiet enough to work in the house while my wife is asleep. No loud noises like you hear on some videos. Cheers, Ed

I like a regular tank compressor like you get from Sears.  It is not that quiet but with a tank it only runs for 2 minutes then shuts off for 20-30 minutes.  That way I can check and top off the tires on my boat trailer and truck when I need to.  Especially now with the lousy compressors they have at the gas stations.

• Like 2

I recently purchased a California Air Tools...10gal and absolutely LOVE it....I spray with it in the same room and its not an annoyance at all!  Quietest on the market.

$379 on Amazon....its actually cheaper now!

http://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-10020-10-0-Gallon/dp/B00889ZYOW/ref=sr_1_2?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1447427942&sr=1-2&keywords=california+air+tools

Edited by TheHammer
  • Like 1

I'm not familiar with the particular compressor, but it has a very small storage tank.

Generally speaking, non-airbrush specific compressors like that are noisy when they cycle and repressurize their storage tank.

So, a larger storage tank will take longer to pressurize, depending on how strong the compressor is, but it will give you a lot more stored air, so it doesn't have to cycle as often.

If you're worried about noise in the house, I don't think that compressor will be quiet enough for you.

• Like 1

Cten - I had to read all the way to the bottom to find the tank volume, it was like they were trying to hide the information. With a 3.5 Liter tank, the motor is going to be kicking in a lot, so the sound output is important. The company claims 59db. I searched for a decibel equivalent chart and discovered; 60 - 65db is conversation at 3ft.

The price seems right, but I would want to listen to it before buying. I don't know whether they would accommodate you over there in the USA, but here in Indonesia, I could take along my airbrush (empty) and try it out to see how long before the motor kicks in and what the working pressure is.

Dave

I have the California as well and use it indoors. hard to beat.I have the one with the 2 gallon tank.... make sure you get the one with an aluminum tank. I absolutely love it and use it 4 days a week....

The 1/5hp compressor is quiet and works well for that type of compressor and price. I used one for several years. The key to making it last for a year or maybe 2 is to shut it off whenever you set the brush down. otherwise they will burn out. You cannot use the discount coupons with compressors anymore. 

I have been running one of these "Master Airbrush" models for about 5 years, thought it would last 1 (same compressor, different brand name)  --no problems with noise, only thing that was I didn't  DRAIN it regularly, I didn't do this because it's so dry here, never thought it would be a problem but that was my fault --.

Pete

Edited by hazmail

I made my compressor which is similar to the Silentaire type. i bought a harbor freight pancake compressor,stripped the compressor and used the tank. Then mounted a used 1/4 hp refrigeration compressor on it. Ran a few copper lines,installed an unloader valve from grainger,muffler,pressure regulator with oil and water trap and walla- Silentaire compressor for under $200 bucks. Works awesome, quite, makes plenty of pressure and volume. If your handy its not too bad to make. I could take pics and go into greater detail if anyone is interested 

• Like 2

I made my compressor which is similar to the Silentaire type. i bought a harbor freight pancake compressor,stripped the compressor and used the tank. Then mounted a used 1/4 hp refrigeration compressor on it. Ran a few copper lines,installed an unloader valve from grainger,muffler,pressure regulator with oil and water trap and walla- Silentaire compressor for under $200 bucks. Works awesome, quite, makes plenty of pressure and volume. If your handy its not too bad to make. I could take pics and go into greater detail if anyone is interested 

I made one of my own like that, but I would like to see a pic. of yours. It sounds like it is nicer than mine. Thanks.

Just a warning to those considering building your own compressors or vacuum chambers for that matter. If you have no engineering education, then you need to do a lot of research and get a real understanding of the power that you are playing with. The pressure/vacuum chambers must be designed and built for the purpose AND must be faultless. Absolutely no rust or corrosion AND no drilling and tapping new holes.

The best analogy that I can think of, is using damp dynamite as play-doh.

Dave

• Like 1

When I bought my 3-4 gallon compressor from Sears in the mid 70's, I added some compressor oil to the tank, to prevent rust, because I was using it for construction.

When I began using it for air brush painting, I added an inline combination regulator and water trap, and I've never had any issues with either rust or oil in my painting.

I still use the same compressor.

If I could, I would use a corrosion-proof tank, but I don't think they are made, so I would suggest you drain your tank one a week, just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

I really like the idea of aluminium tanks, as discussed in another current thread. Occasionally, I want to drag my compressor around for other jobs, but even on four wheels and a handle, it is just too heavy were steps are involved. Next time I am shopping in the engineering area of town, I will pick up another extension instead.

The corrosion resistance properties of aluminium are very good. Aluminium is actually very reactive, but it creates a layer of corrosion and this prevents the oxygen from reaching the metal, thus preventing further corrosion.

I designed an installation for aluminium LPG gas tanks in a Proton car. LPG gas is used extensively in Malaysia in place of gasoline. The aluminium tank was not used in the end; cost concerns and also implications of a collision direct hit. The manufacturer assured us that it passed the same tests applied to steel tanks.

Dave

• Like 1