cm10lber

Opinions On Clearcoating Bills

I do sometimes, either with AC 1315 or Solarez UV cure resin.

Mostly when I've painted the lip with craw claws, like with Wiggle Warts,where the bait looks like a craw swimming craws first.

Both protect the paint and seem to not peel at all.

But first I dip the blank, unpainted, into clean acetone, to remove any surface contamination, and some of the sanding marks left from the manufacturing process.  I also think it presents a "virgin" plastic surface for painting, because it removes a thin layer of plastic, so I can paint directly on the plastic with no primer.  That lets me do transparent paint schemes.

As a side note, I use the Solarez when I've heat bent the lip, to give it a little more reinforcement, in case the heat weakened the lip.

Never used Solarez on lips (seems a little thick to me, as does epoxy) but I know from experience that MCU's like Dick Nite will not adhere well to Lexan (polycarbonate) lips but it works great on the plastic lips of KO's.  Actually, I don't see many polycarbonate lips that have significant scratches or wear, so it has never been an issue for me. 

Edited by BobP

I made and Solarez dip coated a craw crank and it's painted lexan bill.  

Afterward, in order to try and make the lure more stable, I heated and bent the bill.  The Solarez coating has not come off so far, even though the bill got really hot, and I've fished the lure a lot since then.  

But I don't have many clean rocky bottoms to grind it on where I live now.

Edited by mark poulson

Painting KOs or repainting cranks that have been heavily used, I dip the whole bait, bill and all, for the first dip. It really helps clear up little scratches on the bill. (using GST concrete sealer)

Second dip on, I dip only the painted parts. At that point, I don't see the need to build up a thicker coat on the bill.