fishon-son

Fly Tester

Hey guys, I saw [another] one last weekend in St. Louis at FeatherCraft. Kind of a neat machine...the videos of these also seem kind of neat. BUT they are expensive and seem to hold alot of water. I think for designing streamers for moving water they might be useful...don't know. I do mainly topwater for bass/pike/salt...so I'm not interested. Cheers, Ed

Those of you who think that the cost of the Fish Scull Fly Tester is a bit rich, should take another look at the video, a CLOSER look. This thing looks so good that even the boss would probably allow you to keep it in the kitchen.

There is nothing new about test tanks, there are at least six discussion threads on this thread back in February 2014, so this was prior to the introduction of the Fly Tester.

Earlier than this, Altstone came up with a similar principle and shared his idea with a comprehensive tutorial AND a

of the final product, see post No1 of this thread back in January 2013. In fact, this kicked off a 8 page discussion on the topic, drawing out some very good ideas. Several members participated with valuable input. Honorary mentions to Hazmail, Anglinarcher and JBlaze who contributed considerably to the knowledge base.

Hazmail (Pete) published a drawing in post No105 of the above thread in March 2013. This is starting to look a bit like the fly tester.

The problems that were identified were; achieving a smooth flow, fast enough to test the lure and with enough space for the test.

The solutions that we arrived at were; rounded surfaces to smoothly change flow directions without introducing turbulence, constricted test area to increase the flow speed, the constriction large enough to test the lure.

All the above attributes are found in the fly tester tank, so I suspect considerable prototyping work and testing went into the development of this tank. Prototyping development takes time, tools, materials, patience and knowledge to name but a few attributes. It is not unreasonable to recoup the cost of this development work from the sale of the final product.

The construction of the aesthetically pleasing tank requires jigs and tools and a skilled staff. The packaging and promotion does not come cheap either.

In my not so humble opinion, this product is worth every penny and more.

Dave