JRammit

Other Hobbies

Never played Golf, never was any good at pool, I have 2 tables in my basement, one of them has a ping pong top on it.

I like ping pong and Foosball. Hard to find someone to play with that is a challenge.

dirk bike riding is my passion. I have a 2000 Suzuki RM250

I use to play the piano a lot. I bought a computer 25 years ago so I could transpose and print music that I played, but don't play anymore.

I quit hunting and fishing when I became self employed. No desire to start again. when I get in the woods or on the water, I think about what I need to be doing at the shop, I can't relax.My wife likes to hunt and fish.

I guess making fishing lures is my hobby now, that is all we do any more.

We went to Bass Pro in Springfield Missouri this summer and my wife went through just about all of the fishing lures to see how good or bad the quality was. I didn't think I would ever get her out of there. That is what she does here is QC everything. 

I also played cornet in UK brass bands for thirty years. I had to pack it in when I started contracting overseas.

Dave

Music is something i never was good at!

My oldest son picked up the guitar a little over a year ago, and is now playing at such a high level that a couple of my friends who have been playing for years are asking him to teach them chords (or riffs? Or whatever you call it)... He obviously gets this gift from his moms side of the family!

Music is a wonderful thing to have as part of your life. It takes time and effort to master, but if music is a pleasure and not a chore, then great things are possible, as your son is discovering after only a year.

I reached a fairly high standard, but just didn't quite make it to the big time bands. I auditioned for Fodens, but I knew that I was not quite good enough. I was invited to quite a few engagements with the Fodens band when they had players missing, so obviously I came close.

I won a dozen or more solo contests, including North Wales solo champion, North West England champion and Manchester district champion.

I do miss the banding scene and keep in touch with some of my old banding friends on Facebook.

Dave

I also played cornet in UK brass bands for thirty years. I had to pack it in when I started contracting overseas.

Dave  

I play blues guitar and the occasional fiddle tune on my old violin, the fender strat hasn't seen daylight in quite some time, life does seem to get in the way.

But my wood lathe runs for hrs a week, not just lures but a little of everything else'

David J 

• Like 2

Cadman - Wow, a fellow bugger.

For me, it is about getting a shot on the same level as the bug. I is like photographing a child, you automatically get down to the same level, I just do it for bugs. Of course, you also have to collect the shots that will help you identify the bug, these are important for your records.

Dave

I recently learned there is alot more to photography than pushing a button.... I cant call it a hobby for me, but i think my lure pictures have drastically improved since i took all the factors into account

I do like the creative aspect of finding a complementary background

I do recall getting out there in the wee hours with my little fold up bellows camera and a light meter as a kid trying to get that perfect shot of a night blooming desert flower before it closed up shop for the day.  

GN4 Diagnostic - 3.jpg

Galaxy  Note 4 (A FREAKING CELL PHONE) at a distance of about 2 inches.  That image was shrunk and deres-ed to make it small enough to upload.  Just the camera on the phone.  

FYI:  The caliper indicates .019" in that picture letting me know my misalignment is about .015."

Sorry guys.  I went to edit, and the edit time expired by the time I was done.  

FYI:  I use my cell as an optical diagnostic and inspection tool all the time.  I know I am going to drop it inside a wall someday.  

GN4 Diagnostic - 3.jpg

GN4 Diagnostic - 3.jpg

GN4 Diagnostic - 3.jpg

GN4 Diagnostic - 3.jpg

GN4 Diagnostic - 3.jpg

GN4 Diagnostic - 3.jpg

GN4 Diagnostic - 3.jpg

post-15637-0-66497000-1449071387_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob La Londe
  • Like 1

I recently learned there is alot more to photography than pushing a button.... I cant call it a hobby for me, but i think my lure pictures have drastically improved since i took all the factors into account

I do like the creative aspect of finding a complementary background

... do you find yourself missing manual focus and other settings yet?  I'lf love to have something with the manual flexibility of my old Pentax P3 and a 20-30GB chip... that I can afford.    

I dabbled in photography for a while. Traveling all over the country for work I never left home without my camera. And like others enjoyed taking pictures of bugs with the macro lens. You've never looked at a ladybug until one fills up almost the entire image of a 5x7. Ended up amassing quite a bit of equipment with various lenses, filters, flashes, etc. only to have it all burn up when one of my welding rigs caught fire. That ended my dabbling into photography. 

Bob, is the night blooming flower your speaking of a Cereus? If so I have one in my yard. Well, in the greenhouse at the moment.

Ben

Bob, is the night blooming flower your speaking of a Cereus? If so I have one in my yard. Well, in the greenhouse at the moment.

Ben

I had less interest in the flower than the photography, so I do not know for sure, but that is what I heard it called.  Large light yellow flatish (when open) blossom maybe 3-4" across.  They sprout up here and there in the desert on wetter years.  Lilies too.  Pretty wild to be walking over sand hills and between mesquite scrub and sage bushes to see a lily standing up proudly in the middle of the desert.  

Edited by Bob La Londe

I had less interest in the flower than the photography, so I do not know for sure, but that is what I heard it called.  They sprout up here and there in the desert on wetter years.  Lilies too.  Pretty wild to be walking over sand hills and between mesquite scrub and sage bushes to see a lily standing up proudly in the middle of the desert.  

The reason I asked is that my parents used to take "driving vacations" and would often come back through Arizona after visiting relatives in California. On one of their trips they brought back a night blooming Cereus. That was around 40 years ago and I still have it. It starts blooming sometime around May and bloomed almost to the end of November this year.

Ben

... do you find yourself missing manual focus and other settings yet? I'lf love to have something with the manual flexibility of my old Pentax P3 and a 20-30GB chip... that I can afford.

My phone is the only camera i have... The box said its a good camera, im sure the box wouldnt lie??

For focus, i just tap the screen and it puts a square around what i tap.... Thats about all i know... Except for getting the lighting right.... All my recent pics have been out doors on a cloudy day, or early morning/late evening..... Much beter than indoors under my lamp!

I built a light box / photo stage for indoor photos, and then used three of the old metal dinner bell clamp lamps with incandescent bulbs to light them when I was shooting bait photos for sale.  It worked OK, but I never seemed to have the time to setup and do it right.  Half the time I would just snap a picture of the bait in my hand and send it.  LOL.  

Here is a crop of a spider pic that I am proud of. The original, whole spider image is 2,500 square, but I wanted you to see the detail.

attachicon.gifspider 1101.jpg

Dave

Very nice work.  Optical beats digital most of the time, but optical plus digital is right there now too if you can afford it.  

I should hunt around and see if I can find the old digital microscope we had from when the kids were little.