Bbob

Five Lures....go!

Hmmm... are the soft plastics replenish-able?  If not then no soft plastics.     I really only care to target bass so a double willow leaf spinner bait (silver blades, white/chartruese skirt), black and purple jig and pork trailer,  Smithwick suspending rogue silver/black back, a sammy 115 in something "shad color", and then a Norman D22 in chartruese blue.

If soft plastic then probably a 7.5 curtail worm in black and drop the jig/pig.

• Like 2

For me I go with a senko, hands down. Watermelon red is my favorite color

2. I go with a fluke. Watermelon red

3. I choose a strike king bitsy tube in pumpkin seed

4. A wizzer worm rigged wacky style

5. This is my flex spot. I'd do either a soft swimbait or a square bill crankbait

Pretty much on the same page here.........

Jointed floater....preferably Rapala......shad or clown color

Small spinnerbait.....not really picky on brand.....just color.  Chartreuse and white, or perch color

Straight tail 4 and 6 inch worm in oxblood - red flake.  As mentioned, Roboworm makes a darn good one!

Small 3 or 4 inch Spro Swimbait in shad or baby bass color

Saving the best for last:  watermelon or green pumpkin Senko (or any variation of) with black and red flake

• Like 1

1/100 oz jig tipped w/ Berkley power wigglers.

Do they still sell those???

When i was a kid, there were 2 ponds FULL of bluegill out in a pasteur about a 3 mile walk from my friends house... We werent old enough to drive anywhere to buy bait, so i always kept a couple jars of Power Wigglers in my tackle box, they were killer! Caught more fish than we could even count!

We would make that walk almost every day after school til one day we came up with a plan.... We dug a big hole in my friends back yard, about 4' deep x 6' wide and filled it with the water hose (without the knowledge of his parents)..... The next day we carried a 5 gallon bucket to our fishing hole and took turns lugging it back full of water and fish.. Then we dumped it in our "man made" pond

We learned 2 things... Fish need oxygen to survive and water costs money..... We were grounded from fishing for a few weeks after his parents found out about our little scheme

• Like 2

Yes they do! We use them all the time! When the bass aren't biting or when the mood hits me, I'll tie on one on a small jig head. All year, even when it's to cold to bass fish, we catch everything on them. I like them especially for the big bluegill and crappie. A couple years ago I ran out and couldn't find any but last spring I was at Cabelas and found them. Their 7$ a package and we'll worth the money! They are sold in little plastic packages like what most soft plastics are in.

Edited by jonister

Five lures total?  As in one worm, not one type and color of worm? 

If it was one type and color of worm, but I could have a big old bag of them I'ld pick a 1.5" curly grub in smoke sparkle for one and the same in watermelon seed for the the second.  Probably third would be a big old bag of the P3 shad line thru I am still working on.  4th would be a big bag of Mark II Curly Buzz Frogs in white pearl and 5th would be the same frog in dark opaque watermelon. 

That's five. 

If it was five individual lures they would be

1. White 3/8 (or 1/2) flipping jig with a nice swimmable profile. 

2. Back     "         "

3. Bomber Flat A (shallow runner) in shad pattern.  Baby bass if shad wasn't available. 

4. 1/6 oz Rooster Tail with powder blue grey body and silver blade.  Black body is ok too.

5. 1/16 oz Rooster Tail with bright yellow or pink body and silver blade. 

My reasoning is not about catching the biggest fish or the best overall lures, but having a selection that is most likely to catch atleast some fish on any given day of the year. Making sure I can put one on the cooking stick if I am hungry.  Probably number one for catching fish in the most condiditons is the 1.5" curly grub. 

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a jigging spoon. They'll catch just about anything that swims at anytime of year except maybe during the spawn.

Ben

That's a good point, Ben.  When I fished tournaments, we caught tons of fish on spoons.  They seemed to work VERY well in our deep California lakes.  It was nothing to catch them in the winter on spoons in depths of 60 to 90 feet. 

Nowadays, my fishing is limited to pretty much river fishing.......and 10 feet is a deep spot.  LOL.  For some reason, I always thought of spoons as deep-water-only baits, but I'll bet they work just as well on the river.  Something new to think about............

That's a good point, Ben.  When I fished tournaments, we caught tons of fish on spoons.  They seemed to work VERY well in our deep California lakes.  It was nothing to catch them in the winter on spoons in depths of 60 to 90 feet. 

Nowadays, my fishing is limited to pretty much river fishing.......and 10 feet is a deep spot.  LOL.  For some reason, I always thought of spoons as deep-water-only baits, but I'll bet they work just as well on the river.  Something new to think about............

I don't know about the big long jigging spoons, but on years when there has been a good grass kill I like to tick a 1/4oz Kastmaster thru the tips of the new growth when its in the few inches to a foot or so length in the early summer.  Most of those type spots run 4-13 feet. 

Sorry guys. The worm is replenish-able but one color and style

Good!... If it wasnt, i wouldnt wanna play (ha ha!)

What about having 2 lists??

Every other summer i go back to visit friends and family in Colorado... And it would not be a vacation without fishing!.... This is the time i mostly fish bait, just relaxing!... But there are a few lures i always end up tying on eventually

Spoons are great for trout!.. I like the Dare Devil type... 1 gold and 1 silver

I cant call myself a fly fisherman, but i do have a fly rod and i do try!... A mosquito and a black gnat are all i know to use

This may or may not qualify as a lure, but i would not make the trip without a bottom bouncer and a crawler harness for fishing walleye.... Chartreuse beads and a green/chartreuse blade

Edited by JRammit

I fish trout mostly. so, 

1. rooster tail spinner in froggy colour. for creeks and small lakes.

2. little cleo spoon. for trolling and casting. shiny watermelon colour has caught me every fish around, but the yellow with flo. red spots is great for bull trout and also good for pike. 

3. green/silver apex. for trolling for big trout, lakers, rainbow, bull, and dollies. 

4. olive green muddler minnow fly. slays the rainbows.

5. one of my own plugs, colour would be tough to choose from, but probably colour combo of pearl white, black, and silver.

Only five is hard to choose when you target a lot of different species 

1) kamlooper spoon yellow/silver and red spots. Caught every species of trout/char that swims along with pike and coho salmon. Not always the top producer but seems to catch a fish even on the toughest days. Plus they are heavy enough to cast or jig

2) Blue fox vibrax spinner pink with a silver blade. Trout/char/salmon just seem to eat it

3) 3 inch white twister tail grub jig combo. Bull trout, lake trout, largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, pike, rockfish, burbot, and lingcod all fall victim to it

4) beadhead woolly bugger orange bead, black, and a little purple flash. Bass, trout, arctic grayling, walleye, salmon, and crappie all go for it

5) Sinking rapala in firetiger. Predator fish just like it

So many good lures, so many species, and so many different situations having to choose only 5 lures is evil lol

If I'm going fishing I'm going to have these five:

-Zman scented paddlers either in gold or smelt color, always on an underspin

-Roboworm 3 inch alive shad, has to be margarita mutilator or Aarons magic- a must have for finessing those smallmouths.

-Vixen style walking bait in smelt color- won high school state champions with my partner with that bait

-Zman finesse trd,  a bait that will catch fish anywhere.

-Lucky craft slender pointer in a grey ghost color.

Notice a pattern... I love my bronzebacks!