JRammit

Hand Painting

So i looked into buying an airbrush, as most of you know the whole set up is quite expensive!... If i did this, it would negate the possibility of gathering other tools i really need

Ive just been using spray cans to paint my lures, they look alright (i guess)... But ive noticed some of you hand paint your lures and they look stunning!!!

I have a small collection of acrylic hobby paints that ive used to brush on details, but it is thick and runs until it is dry... Should i try thinning it out? Or is this the wrong paint??

What kind of brushes would i need?... And what else would be usefull for applying paint (sponges, foam, ect.)

Any other tips/tricks you wouldnt mind sharing would be great too!.... Like how to fade/blend colors, break up hard lines ect..

I imagine this is a tedious process, and im not much of the artistic type... But i wanna give it a shot!

I usually don't hand paint, but any of the air brush paints, like Createx, Folk Art, Apple Barrel, and Wildlife Colors, can be brushed on.  Practice using the "dry brush" technique, where you dip the tip of the brush in the paint, and the blot some of it off on a piece of scratch paper, until you start getting the effect you want.  It takes some playing around, but several people here, like Dieter (Diemai) and JR Hopkins, do it really well.  Check their stuff out in the Hard Baits Gallery.

Edited by mark poulson

several people here, like Dieter (Diemai) and JR Hopkins, do it really well. Check their stuff out in the Hard Baits Gallery.

I have!... They're the ones i was refering to, and cant forget Littleriver

Thats good to know... If i stock up on the paints you mentioned, i could still use them if i ever get an airbrush

It's like all things in life....right person and right tools equal quality.  Without that combination results start to move away from that desired outcome.   A few decent paintbrushes will add up quick (surpass entry name brand airbrush for example).  I paid around 12 to 18 bucks each for 5 brushes to paint some stuff I had carved, only problem with that is then it becomes evident that it is me that screwed up.   :lolhuh:   

I would just hit up the local hobby store and pick brushes you are comfortable at price point wise and go with it.  Paints are the same way the cheap ones work but not as nice as more expensive ones.  For me I eventually factor in a "price" for my time and it doesn't take long to see how expensive my choices to save money really are.

If going to use brushes I would recommend checking out a few fish carving books.  James Fliger's Freshwater Fish Carving for example has some good method teachings on painting with brushes. 

I painted a lot of cranks in college using a cheap 25 dollar testors model airbrush kit with the compressed air cans.  That gets expensive and freaking annoying as they put anti huffing agent in the cans and if not well vented you get that horrible taste in your mouth, scent in the nose etc...  Also pain in the but as the cans get cold and you end up floating them in hot water.  I turned out a lot of decent cranks in my dorm room with that cheap airbrush kit.  I ended up getting another testors set up with little compressor for probably 45 dollars and used it for some time also before buying an Iwata Eclispe and using my Craftsman pancake compressor (included in a nail gun kit Christmas gift).  

Turns out Apple Barrel paint is what i have, i probably just wasn't using it right... Stopped by the Walmart to get a few more colors, found out they have Folk Art there too.. So i grabbed a few of those

Also got a pack of Folk Art brushes and a thick dowell rod to practice on.... We shall see how it goes...

As for hobby stores, closest one is a 40 mile drive... Not many disadvantages to living out in the country, but this is one of them.... Its Walmart or nothing

apple barrel-ok. folk art- not as good  imo. I use Royal brand deerfoot brushes. they are a stipling brush with a medium firm bristle. just Google them.

as with most things, practice, practice, practice. also a good thing to use is some white poster board. walmart sells it so you don't have to drive a long way to a craft store. cut out fish shapes and use that to practice your painting on.

remember you can always add paint. harder to take it off !

• Like 1

jr.. Thats also good to know! 50 cents for the Apple Barrel paint... Ive always done my practice painting on dowel rods, so i can see how a scheme looks in 3D.... But the paper is a good idea, no primer required

Ill see how i do with the cheap brushes before i make another investment

So the new brushes are nice!.. At least they seem so to me

But this paint does not want to go on my primer (bulls eye spray can).... I read that some here use Kilz, ill have to try that i guess

Use a flat white paint instead of a glossy white paint for your primer and your paint will stick better.  You can also scuff up your primer to knock down the gloss.  I use 600 grit sandpaper.

Going to have to add a leveling agent.  Floetrol for example or whatever crazy thing guys have discovered to substitute in.  Then you just have to deal with the crazy reactions that can occur until you dial it in....

I honestly understand trying to save money but at what expense?   Take a  look through the gallery and the posts over the years and so many that try going this route end up with cranks that they are not happy about or any other party viewing would never drop a dime on.  One doesn't have to break the bank on any of this stuff.  To be honest most would get better results first time using a harbor freight air brush than they will get in months or years trying to hand paint.  Yes it can be done but in my opinion only successfully by a few.

I know money is tight for many but then I often think one has to also be honest...cigarettes, alcohol, fast food, Redbox rentals, pick the "need" spent on....choose where you want to spend but rarely is it a case of money not being there.

Createx is basically an acrylic latex paint...nothing really special other than some thinning properties which may allow the paint to flow smoother out of an airbrush and thats it.  Many of my hand made colors are using basic acrylic/latex paints and thinned with windex....Thinning is fine and based on how easily it flows for you while using a brush to apply.  Just like with airbrush, its all trial and error to how much each color will need thinned....Good Luck 

Edited by TheHammer

Going to have to add a leveling agent. Floetrol for example or whatever crazy thing guys have discovered to substitute in. Then you just have to deal with the crazy reactions that can occur until you dial it in....

I honestly understand trying to save money but at what expense? Take a look through the gallery and the posts over the years and so many that try going this route end up with cranks that they are not happy about or any other party viewing would never drop a dime on. One doesn't have to break the bank on any of this stuff. To be honest most would get better results first time using a harbor freight air brush than they will get in months or years trying to hand paint. Yes it can be done but in my opinion only successfully by a few.

I know money is tight for many but then I often think one has to also be honest...cigarettes, alcohol, fast food, Redbox rentals, pick the "need" spent on....choose where you want to spend but rarely is it a case of money not being there.

Its not so much about the budget as it is priorities... First priority is a band saw when i move into the new shop, and maybe a belt sander if that's not pushing it... Ill get an airbrush eventually, but in the mean time im not gonna stop making baits

If i can make a hand brush job look better than spray cans and sharpies, then ill concider it a win!

OK ,......back at home again to chime in , ........even installed a different browser , hopefully that one would enable me to provide straight links !

It happens to be, that during past weeks I had uploaded a 9 part video series on YouTube dealing on the complete making of a certain luremodel , a rotary head lure named "Whirligig" .

This video series turned out to be pretty long , since I did not cut the single clips nor edited them , ...just having a lot to say , I guess :unsure: .

Anyway , reagarding my own painting work please check out about the secont half of part 5 :

(Wow , the new browser seems to work !)

........proceeding the painting in part 6 :

........and finally the detail painting plus applying glitter jelly :

I'd leave these clips speak so far , ...if you'd have further questions about my painting methods , please call back in , .......greetz , Dieter :yay:

JR if you look at my cranks in the gallery I paint them with cheap hobby paints that I thin one part windex to 4 parts future floor shine then mix with paint at a one part paint to one part thinner I then shoot them through a royalmax 20 dollar iwata knockoff that I super tuned( learned from a YouTube video ) and I have no problems whatsoever, except for the occasional tip dry, that I get just a often with Createx so you don't have to break the bank to start airbrushing, but be warned once you start you will want to make baits just to have something to paint Good luck gonna post some squarebills I painted in the gallery so you can see the hobby paints work we'll to. David J

Thought it might be of advantage to put up a picture of that particular "Whirligig" in here , 'cause in the videos the paint jobs are not visible too clear .

So well , ....here is a link to my gallery :

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/15298-beechwood-whirligig/

Greetings , Dieter :yay:

Im realizing real quick that im out of my league on this one!..... I did accomplish one thing.. Over the past two nights i successfully made the worlds ugliest dowel rod

I dont give up easily, so ill keep at it!

Thanks for the links to the videos Dieter.. You certainly do make it look too easy!...... One question so far, you talked about the primer, but i didnt hear what kind it is

• Like 1