jonathan creason

Take One On A Topwater

Hey guys, first post here.  I've dabbled and tinkered in making my own equipment in nearly every outdoor venture I enjoy, so I figured why not try to make my own lure, too.  I plan for this one to be a walk-the-dog type topwater, with a small cupped mouth to throw a little water during the retrieve.  I carved it out of a poplar dowel, and am just now to the point that I can add eyes, seal, and start the ballast process.  I appreciate any critiques and pointers you all may have to offer.

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

post-48076-0-79604200-1448376923_thumb.jpg

It would help with the placement for ballast, line ties and hook hangers if you had drawn a center line on the lure before shaping. You can still do it, but it would have been easier if you'd done it before shaping.

An easy way to mark a center line on a round piece of wood is to lay it in a small piece of angle iron and use the edge of the angle as a straight edge. Or you can use a piece of square stock laid on a flat surface with the dowel held against the square stock and then just run your pencil down the square stock.

By using either of these methods it takes the measuring out of the equation and thus the chance for a mistake.

hope this helps,

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Cool. It's a common mistake a lot of folks make when they start building lures and it can get really aggravating when you start trying to find a home for all the hardware and realize it's not easy to get a straight line on a bait that's already shaped, but you sound like you've got it under control. :yay:

Be sure to let us know how the build goes.

Ben

Ballasting.  You don't have to ballast a round top water lure.  The bottom hook and split ring will keep it vertical and it will "walk the dog".  BUT, they generally work much better with ballast and when ballasted properly, you can work them and achieve a wide walk the dog sometimes even 18-20 inches wide glide on walking the dog.  Also, a ballasted stick bait "moves more water" when it is worked and I think water noise when walking a topwater bait is a good thing.  Added weight also helps with easy long casts.  So, I think you should ballast the bait and I suggest that you keep the ballast weight about 1/3 of the distance from the tail of the bait.  When the back end is heavier than the front end, the walk the dog action is generally easier and the back end pushes  the front end  when you give slack line while walking the bait.  When you check your ballast, have your hooks and split rings on.  When you test, the tail of the bait will sit down lower in the water but don't make it too much lower.  Compare it to other topwaters you have for how it sits in the water.  In the bucket of water, tap the tail end of the bait with your finger to see how tender the bait is.(tap...tail goes deep in the water comes up slowly, tap...tail bobs back up quick and perky)

Hope it helps,

Barry

• Like 1

I haven't design a topwater bait yet. But have fish with them for a very long time, Barrybait is absolutely right, IMO. If you get the weight right and the nose of the bait up in the air just a little the bait pushes the water as you work the bait. However a Popper, Jitter Bug etc. is a different story. I have a large minnow bait that someone made for me that runs shallow (a tiger color scheme), but does a great job on the top if I just move it along without cranking, because of the way he weighted the bait. BIG FUN, in fast rocky water with Smallies.

Make a few with weights in different locations near the rear and find what works for you.

Dale

You can save the hassle of filling in holes if you float test the bait by using tape to hold the weight in different spots until you get what you like out of it

Results will change slightly once the weight is drilled in (rather than hanging below), so i find it best always to carve 2 bodies... One for testing, the other for fishing

Thanks for the pointers guys.  I got the ballast set to where the nose just barely poked out of the water.  Used painter's tape to hold the lead in place while I moved it around to find the right spot.  Things went downhill from there, though.  I twisted some wire I had for eyes, thinking it was pretty firm stainless.  Turned out to be softer wire than I had thought, because now that the eye are set I can bend them with some decent pressure.  From there I tried to paint with my dad's airbrush, but couldn't get it to cooperate (likely a maintenance issue).  The pin had a tiny burr on the end, we finally figured out, but even after fixing that it wouldn't spray evenly.  I went to the rattle cans from there, which turned out ok considering what I was using, but I'm not 100% pleased with it.  At this point I'll probably seal it up and fish it a little, hopefully catching 1 fish, and then hang it up as a reminder.

Jonathan - The wire sounds about right. If you really think that the wire is too soft, then maybe next time go for a slightly larger diameter wire. Can you tell us what the wire diameter is.

I can't help you with the paint, as I do not paint my lures. BUT, at this stage, you should not be too concerned about making a pretty lure, plenty of time for developing those skills later. Get excited if the lure swims how you want it to swim. Make a mahogany glassed frame for when you catch your first fish (not for the fish, but for your lure).

You are doing great and making rapid progress, with your lure and the knowledge that you are amassing. Don't concern yourself with the pudding, work on the main course first.

Dave

• Like 1

Jonathon,

You have to remember that there's a learning curve with everything we attempt and the biggest thing is don't get discouraged. Even when you have setbacks you've learned what doesn't work and that's a step forward. Just stop and think how many times you had to bump your noggin before you learned to walk. It's pretty much the same thing building baits.

Ben

• Like 1

I agree with V-Man and Rayguy, what ever you learn, good or bad is a step forward. I myself just got started working on wooden baits. I look at it like this even a failure is not truly a failure.

The wire issue can be cured by what V-Man stated or going to a different grade of SS. A good wire that I have found by chatting with a member here is to use "TIG" welding electrodes in 308 stainless steel grade. It doing pretty good so far. It is holding 50 lbs of lead up right now, with only a 1" in the wood and another of 3/4" with a straight shaft. I didn't have a lot of room for a longer hanger shaft in a new design. It's been there for 34 hrs. Point is that it's strong but relatively inexpensive.

Learn from everything, ask questions and enjoy the aggravation with us. Just joking, it's fun as heck to me.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

I had a wall in my work space where i hung all my failed hard baits... They were in order (left to right) from the first i ever built, to the most recent....... Not only did they fill an empty wall, but they also let me see my progression every time i turned my chair around

I say "had" only because ive packed them away, but they will go right back up in my new shop next month!...... Now when i screw one up, its not so bad.. Cause i get to add a decoration to my wall

Thanks for all the input, guys, it is really helpful.  It's funny, I can go back and look at the first knife I forged, first fly I tied, first point I knapped, etc., etc., and think "holy crap, that is ugly" for each and every one of them.  I was proud of them at the time, but I was able to accumulate more knowledge and skills with each and every one turned out from there and showed improvements.  I know lure building works the same way, and I'm not giving up.  I've started on a couple of poppers now that I hope show some improvement.  I'll go back and finish this one eventually, and I'll fish it until it's hanging from the jaw of a pig.

• Like 1