delSexy

Keeping Hook Hangers Clear After Epoxy Dips

Hello,

I've been fishing for a few years now and I just started painting lure blanks in the last couple of months.  I've got the painting down real well, but I always have a problem clearing the hook hangers after I dip my lure for the final coat.  I end up pulling up some epoxy and paint or the epoxy looks frayed with me messing with it so much with an exacto knife.

I'm using Seal Coat UV blast on top of a EnviroTex Lite top coat. I wait for the ETEX to dry then the next day dip it in the seal coat for a second and final coat.  It hardens pretty fast and I'll pull them off after a couple of hours and then struggle getting the eyes clear.

Currently, I'm using preformed blanks from Ebay/Barlow's so the eyes are in place before I paint/epoxy them.

I'd just like to hear what you all do and how to keep the lures looking professional, especially if the paint job looks great but the clear coating makes it look bad.  Thanks in advanced for any comments ya'll have.

I don't try to keep finish off the hook hangers. In fact, on the wood baits I paint I make sure they are covered to insure against a water leak in those areas. It's very easy to clear the hangers with a micro drill bit chucked in a Dremel tool after the clearcoat has cured. You can alternatively use a piece of stainless wire in place of the drill bit. Takes only a minute.

• Like 1

I don't try to keep finish off the hook hangers. In fact, on the wood baits I paint I make sure they are covered to insure against a water leak in those areas. It's very easy to clear the hangers with a micro drill bit chucked in a Dremel tool after the clearcoat has cured. You can alternatively use a piece of stainless wire in place of the drill bit. Takes only a minute.

X2