LaPala

How to print decal for see thru effect?

Got my decal film today, couldn't resist the beautiful water decal lures you guys make. Now... Problem...

I was trying to get real fish photos that I took printed on decal films and stick the decal to foil - trying to get the scales to shine (reflective). But the image actually obscures the foil underneath. I've tried adjusting the opacity of the image in Photoshop but the printing doesn't really let the chrome foil shine thru, if I get it to shine thru the image is too light.

(Been doing it on foils only not on foiled lure yet)

How do you print (ink-jet) a real-image of a fish on water-slide decal so that the foil/paint job under the printed decal can still be seen thru it?

Any trick to it? :)

Thanks

Printers do not print "white". So, in your photo shop add white where you want the foil to show through. Like just the bottom half of the body and a little on the head. That part of the decal film should come out clear.

I don't know if they make a printer that can print matalics, if they do it's probably expensive.

Make sure you have a backup copy of the photo you're going to use in case it messes up.

Hope this helps ya out.

I've recently made a few contacts in Malaysia, great to meet ya!!

Thanks for the input Terrydabassman. Nice to meet you too. Well now U have another contact over here :).

I'll give it a try... means a lot of editing though :( ; getting all the see thru parts white. Mmmm... maybe if I convert the pic to greyscale & paint in the background in translucent colors...

LaPala,

From your picture, just white out under the lateral line and a little around the gill area.

Here is an example using your photo. Hope you don't mind.

Now on your foil you can make a scale design on it "before" you add it to the lure. Then just add your photo copy/decal and see how it comes out.

Save these pictures to use as an example and or your lures/lure if it's the way you wanted it.

Hope this helps ya. Shoot me an email any time :)

body_-_seluangr.jpg

body_-_seluangl.jpg

body_-_seluangr.jpg

body_-_seluangl.jpg

body_-_seluangr.jpg

body_-_seluangl.jpg

body_-_seluangr.jpg

body_-_seluangl.jpg

body_-_seluangr.jpg

body_-_seluangl.jpg

body_-_seluangr.jpg

body_-_seluangl.jpg

body_-_seluangr.jpg

body_-_seluangl.jpg

body_-_seluangr.jpg

body_-_seluangl.jpg

884_thumb.attach

885_thumb.attach

LaPala,

Terry's got it right about inkjet printers not printing white. Black prints nearly opaque. There appears to be alot of gray on the dorsal and gill areas that are muddling up the decal.

The image might not be the best quality however you can use it as a guide to build apon. Create a transparent layer over top of the original in photoshop and trace the details in black where you want them. It isn't really the same as a "photo finish" but you can make a decent decal following whats there.

Tight lines,

Shawn