owenbyc

Need A Chartreuse Recipe

I put all my color recipes in the gallery so i dont forget them... This may be close to what youre looking for, if you just want chartreuse claws

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/15281-the-belly-worm-smokechartreuse/

Note: i add my colors after heating, so i can eye ball them in the clear plastic... That makes a difference with neon colors, as it usually takes more drops in hot plastic than in cold

I am a hobby pourer and don't have to get exact color matches from one batch to the next, so I don't write stuff down.

I add my colors after I heat my plastic, so I can see how it's changing as I add it.

I think you'll have to heat up a cup of plastic, and begin adding whatever chartreuse color you use, counting the drops you add until you get the shade you want.  Then write it down, so you'll always know what you did to get the color you like.

Mixing the colors well is important in getting consistent results.  Lots of color pigments settle out, and pack at the bottom of the bottle, so you can get really weak coloring if you don't get those pigments back up into suspension.

I just bought a Badger paint mixer that is for getting the hard pack back up into suspension.

When it arrives, I'll use it on my colors as I use them.

Badger 121 AirBrush Paint Mixer

Nailed it Mark!... In fact, i think you wrote that somewhere a long time ago and ive been doing it that way ever since

Just 2 things to add:

The color will always look darker in the cup.. Thats why i pour a few baits before i commit to the mixture

Find a dependable way to keep your records so you dont have to go through the process every time... I tried saving them on my phone, broke it... Wrote them in a note pad, lost it..... Now i just click JRammit and there they are, along with a convenient picture (also Marks idea)

Edited by JRammit

So your saying a lot of drops of chartreuse before heating. How many do y'all think? Also don't add yellow?

I wasn't a high volume pourer by any means.  For tails, I worked with only an ounce or 2 of plastic at a time.  For craws, you might need a little more because that is a good portion of the bait.  About 8 to 10 drops of of well mixed chartreuse to 1 ounce of preheated plastic should do the trick.  I wasn't a big "yellow" guy because it tends to stand out way too much for my liking.  Just my :twocents:

I use spike its chart the one marked as a dye, as I felt it was the sharpest looking version, I use it as a transparent bait, so I use two drops and oz with gold holo glitter, it pops!

I have a few of their dye colors too, they do tend to be "stronger".... But they also bleed, I dont think you would want to use a dye in a 2 color bait...... I havnt tried it, so i could be wrong

For the most part I just use well mixed chartreuse. I still have a big bottle of the good stuff Bears used to have. It takes a beater on a drill to mix. However an affect that looks good for thin tails is a little pearl powder. It can look weird on some baits, but on others it can really P0P!

Edited by Bob La Londe

I just use 16 drops of LC chartreuse per cup of plastic. You really need to shake the crap out of that stuff for a minute or more because it is bad to settle out. It gives me a nice transparent color and I almost always put a little black and silver flake to give it some "depth". I really really like the effect it gives on a worm tip or claws/appendages. If I don't want it to be see through I just add some white LC colorant to it. TBH I can't remember how much I white I put in though. Hope this helps some.

Edited by FATFLATTIE
  • Like 1